What happens when Google allows apps to the SD card?

Last Updated:

1. Cheule

Cheule Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Rather than asking about how to move apps to the SD card, which I'm sure has been done to death, I'm wondering about what happens when your phone finally gets an OTA update that allows native SD apps.

Will Google provide something that will allow you to easily port your crowded apps over to the SD card? Or are we all going to have to just suck it up and reinstall everything (again!) ?

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Users of current apps2sd method cry because now we'll have to reformat our SD card to accommodate the official way.

:'(

More seriously: currently, CyanogenMod lets you move your apps freely between /data/app and your sdcard apps partition. No need to reinstall anything, the files just get moved around. So I imagine Google should be able to let you do this just as easily. But if not, eh, users of Titanium Backup can batch reinstall everything in like five minutes anyway.

3. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle Well-Known Member

Im more than sure that apps will be able to be archived to the sd card. So if its crowding the phones memory, then you will have the option to at least not delete them but archive them. Im new to android so i might be wrong. But in the BB world that what we can do with our apps and our sd cards.

4. spectackulous

spectackulous New Member

The singularity is going to occur and Google WILL divide by zero.

But honestly I'm pretty sure Google would try to program something that would allow passive or active transport between the phone's memory and the SD card. I don't think they want people bitching over re-installing EVERY. SINGLE. APP.

5. locus

locus Well-Known Member

For me it will be nice chance to clean out the phone, do a factory reset re-install all the apps fresh, I do not have that many anyways, maybe 30. after a while you know which ones you want and need and the others are just taking up space, never used

my 2 cents

6. Poldie

Poldie Well-Known Member

I think it's likely that the new OS which provides apps on sd (plus whatever else they release) will probably require a factory reset anyway, so it could be something of a moot point.

7. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see why you will want to do this if your already rooted anyway. If you apply this update, im sure it will break root, if so count me out then:confused: Im sure the unofficial method will get updated to match the official version anyway.

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Yes, there's no doubt Cyanogen et al will incorporate the official updates into custom ROMs. My point is that, even if they do so, we'll still most likely have to reformat and repartition to make it work with the new apps2sd method.