What happens when I clear cache and data?

Last Updated:

1. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using ROM manager to down load and install ROMs/krnels.

Part of the process asks if I want to clear cache and data.

Assuming I do a backup two questions:

- how do I get my data back when using the new rom

- if the new rom fails does the restore restore everything-- cache and data?

Reason I ask is I tried several versions of Sapphire 1.0 and of the Chevy 4.6

And I have yet to get one to work. They all get stuck in an endless reboot loop/

Advertisement
  2. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Well, i'm not sure with Sapphire, but if you're using Chevy's ROM and you use bkapps/rstapps, you can clear cache and data with NO ISSUES, because you can restore them immediately after you load the new rom.
    If not, you should DEFINITELY still wipe data/cache between roms. I hear titanium backup or the full(paid) version of ROM manager do a good backup.
    Personally, I don't have that many programs that i HAVE to have, so I just wipe (lose all personal stuff) and reinstall.
    After installing new ROM, just sign in with google ID, and if you've sync'd with google, give it a few and it'll start reinstalling your programs for ya. The only thing you'll lose is email that was ONLY on your device, or messages and call logs.
    Pretty much everything else is on Google's servers I think.
    edit: if you're just getting the endless bootloop...i think a good wipe might be JUST what you're looking for!

dvs335 likes this.
  3. ShuttleXpC

ShuttleXpC Well-Known Member

The google servers backing up everything important to me (emails, phone numbers, pictures for profiles, etc) makes it very easy for me to wipe everything entirely. No use in keeping a Titanium backup on the 10 apps I have.

4. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Clearing cache and data did it. Took a little time to restore everything from titanium but after that new rom works great - phone is flying.