what happens when you press the hotspot app without a hot spot add-on to your plan?

Last Updated:

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I see a Sprint Hotspot app on the Epic. What happens if you press it? Does it auto-activate the hotspot, or does it check to see if you have the add-on plan before it can be used?

Advertisement
  2. sloheim

sloheim Well-Known Member

It checks first and gives you an error if you dont have the service added to your account.

AndroidSPCS likes this.
  3. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

4. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

It trys to connect but in the end it wont.

AndroidSPCS likes this.
  5. CHARLES.BUCKLAND

CHARLES.BUCKLAND Member

I just signed up for sprint and got two EPIC 4G phones for me and my wife, I have not added any hotspot add-on on my plan, when I turn on hotspot feature on my phone I am able to connect my computer to the internet using my hotspot, it does not work on my wife's phone. Does sprint give this for free initially? or did I get lucky with my device? Please advise?

6. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member

check out "Wireless Tether for Root User" app.

AndroidSPCS likes this.
  7. lpsteve

lpsteve Member

I noticed the same thing. That it seemed to work without even signing up. I havent thoroughly tried it out but was able to connect to another device. It connected but I couldn't yget active internet to work. I asked the same question about this in another thread and never got an answer.

8. CHARLES.BUCKLAND

CHARLES.BUCKLAND Member

You can turn on this feature on the epics when you connect to the wifi from the pc you can not get an internet connection to browse webpages. My phone is letting me do it. Hope that is not a trial version, can sprint detect that my device is letting me share WIFI for free?

9. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

i did not paid for the extra hotspot option. yes, if i enable hotspot on phone, i can connect to it with pc, but no internet on pc. no problem because i didn't paid for that option.

10. CHARLES.BUCKLAND

CHARLES.BUCKLAND Member

I just found out that the version of software that I have my Samsung Epic is Build number Samsung ECLAR.DG17 which I never upgraded after I bought the phone, seems like that is what is giving me free hotspot internet access from my laptop without paying the $30 per month.

11. MisterDisney

MisterDisney Well-Known Member

We only paid for the service on mine, but now it looks like it works on my wife's Epic as well.