What happens with wi-fi connection is lost?

Last Updated:

1. siuc1996

siuc1996 Active Member This Topic's Starter

My wireless router from time to time poops out and I lose connection to it from my phone & laptops. I have to restart the router and it pops back up. When this happens, I lose all internet on my phone until I reboot because I assume the phone stops 3G when wi-fi is turned on. This morning this happened again so I restarted the router. When I did, a bunch of emails streamed into my phone. Not a huge deal but will my phone calls not come through when this happens too? I don't want to risk missing calls because my wi-fi is down. I assume the calls would still come through but I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I wish the phone would switch to 3G when a wi-fi connection is down but I guess that's not possible.

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Even though your router was "down", it may still have been broadcasting its information, so your phone remained connected to it. Same thing would happen on a computer. The wireless connection itself would remain connected, but the connection to the internet wouldn't work because the router wasnt, well, routing.

Phone calls should come through even in cases like this. Phone calls will continue coming over the cellular service even when the data portion is on wireless.