What harm can come from overclocking your phone?

Last Updated:

1. omegan

omegan New Member This Topic's Starter

May 2, 2010
    What harms can overxlockin ur phone do? i overclock my cpu, not sure similar they are.
    Not sure y this feature wasn t placed in the hero.

2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    the same harm that can come from OCing your PC can happen to the phone. you are pushing teh processor beyond what is recommended. this causes more heat and the processor WILL fail earlier than not OCing. the same reason for not including OCing as a built in feature for your PC is the same reason for not including it in your phone. Liability. premature failures.. warranty claims.. just like when you OC your PC OCing your Phone will void the warranty (so does rooting for that matter)
  3. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I agree with Mystic... if it is a similar technique to overclocking on a PC, it's not such a nice thing to do to your hardware. The OC cycle was achieve by adjusting voltage settings and write cycles of the processor. All of which increased it's performance but at a cost. The effect of the Processor working harder also increase it's byproduct of HEAT. The change in voltage settings effected not only the processor but the motherboard as well, which subsequently affected attached hardware too.

Again... just as a simple example, the OC was achieved by lowering Voltage to the processor. This in turn increased AMPERAGE... now, that can cause havoc with circuits as there are tolerances thereby being exceeded.

Sooooo... if you don't mind frying your Phone and have a REAL need to OC, but all means, give it a shot. But the risk might outweigh the payout, ultimately it's all up to you.