What I learned about the Hero after a month

Last Updated:

1. doanius

doanius Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 16, 2009
    So after a few hard resets, installing and uninstalling apps to try and make the hero stay up longer and less lagging, here's my report.

When I first got the hero home, I was excited and noticed that the performance was excellent, smooth and clean. The first thing I noticed was that the battery was dying out too fast. At first I thought it was the programs I installed that caused the phone to be awake all the time. I found an app call Task Killer installed that. I was manually shutting down processes that I thought I didn't need but those kept coming up. I removed that app and tried Advance Task Killer and kept shutting down apps manually for about a week. My battery life didn't improve so I figure I'll wait for a bug release from HTC. A few days later, I started to install more and more apps. At some point, the phone started to lag majorly. It was almost unusable. I thought I might have installed an app that had a memory leak. Instead of trying to figure out which app, I did a hard reset and started over. Fresh and clean again... ooo feels good. Then I started reading up on this forum and found that I needed to disable the internal Text Messaging App and install Handcent. Did that and noticed the wake time was reduced dramatically. I did get me more juice from my phone but I figured that I needed to install Advance Task Killer again to manually shut down apps. I noticed the battery was draining a bit faster than before I installed so I looked up this forum and found that the internal memory management is capable of handling it without user intervention. So I removed it and problem solved. There are some slow down during the day and I noticed that's happening when the phone is pulling data for all my 4 email accounts (exchange, yahoo1, yahoo2, and gmail). I reduced the check for new mail from every 30 min to manual for all accounts except for exchange and gmail. Now I have been running for the last two weeks worry free and the phone is snappy, not as snappy as the iphone but it's close. Another thing is that I keep my installed app to a minimum. I don't install all the apps and remove them if I haven't used it in a week. Well, that's my experience so far so I hope this helps out some newbies of what to do and what not to do.

1. disable internal txt messaging app and install handcent
    2. don't install any task/memory manager, let android handle the task/memory management(built in)
    3. keep installed app to a minimum
    4. set mail pull to manual or 1-2 hours interval

2. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009

gmail get's automatically pushed. no need to set it to sync.
  3. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I've also noticed that Lock 2.0 keeps the phone asleep longer than the default lock screen and that certain battery widgets keep the phone from sleeping as well.