What I learned about the Hero after a month

Last Updated:

1. doanius

doanius Active Member This Topic's Starter

So after a few hard resets, installing and uninstalling apps to try and make the hero stay up longer and less lagging, here's my report.

When I first got the hero home, I was excited and noticed that the performance was excellent, smooth and clean. The first thing I noticed was that the battery was dying out too fast. At first I thought it was the programs I installed that caused the phone to be awake all the time. I found an app call Task Killer installed that. I was manually shutting down processes that I thought I didn't need but those kept coming up. I removed that app and tried Advance Task Killer and kept shutting down apps manually for about a week. My battery life didn't improve so I figure I'll wait for a bug release from HTC. A few days later, I started to install more and more apps. At some point, the phone started to lag majorly. It was almost unusable. I thought I might have installed an app that had a memory leak. Instead of trying to figure out which app, I did a hard reset and started over. Fresh and clean again... ooo feels good. Then I started reading up on this forum and found that I needed to disable the internal Text Messaging App and install Handcent. Did that and noticed the wake time was reduced dramatically. I did get me more juice from my phone but I figured that I needed to install Advance Task Killer again to manually shut down apps. I noticed the battery was draining a bit faster than before I installed so I looked up this forum and found that the internal memory management is capable of handling it without user intervention. So I removed it and problem solved. There are some slow down during the day and I noticed that's happening when the phone is pulling data for all my 4 email accounts (exchange, yahoo1, yahoo2, and gmail). I reduced the check for new mail from every 30 min to manual for all accounts except for exchange and gmail. Now I have been running for the last two weeks worry free and the phone is snappy, not as snappy as the iphone but it's close. Another thing is that I keep my installed app to a minimum. I don't install all the apps and remove them if I haven't used it in a week. Well, that's my experience so far so I hope this helps out some newbies of what to do and what not to do.

tips:
    1. disable internal txt messaging app and install handcent
    2. don't install any task/memory manager, let android handle the task/memory management(built in)
    3. keep installed app to a minimum
    4. set mail pull to manual or 1-2 hours interval

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

another tip, for you:

gmail get's automatically pushed. no need to set it to sync.

3. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

I've also noticed that Lock 2.0 keeps the phone asleep longer than the default lock screen and that certain battery widgets keep the phone from sleeping as well.