What I love about the Droid so far.

Last Updated:

1. steveo408

steveo408 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I returned my Eris today and got a Droid..Night and day comparison! My god, a phone that actually WORKS. It's so pleasant to make a real phone call (does anyone else still make those) anyways..Love the Droid so far..Still debating weather I should wait for 2.2 or root..any advice?

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

You'll most likely get two polar opposite opinions here. I'll give you a couple of thoughts that may help you decide

1) If you like a stock Droid with 2.1, you'll be in love with a Rooted Droid running Bugless Beast V1.1 or CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1...They are SOOO fast!

2) With Froyo just around the corner, you may want to take that time just to get used to your Droid. We will eventually be able to root people on the 2.2 firmware so that should be an option later on. Having said that, performance of 2.2 is expected to be great on the Droid. May have little need for Root (performance wise anyway :))

It's your phone so do what you feel comfortable with. My opinion...I don't know why anyone would not root as long as they are not "scared to death" of that doing things like that. So many people wanted stock 2.1 so they didn't root prior to getting it or they unrooted to get it. Many of those people soon realized that 600MHz is just not that great of a processor and any firmware seems to crawl for non-rooted users. 1.0GHz or better really works well (1.0GHz is completely stable for most users).

Either way, go to the Market and get "Launcher Pro". It will speed up your phone whether you are rooted or not. Very slick home screen replacement! :D

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Psychokitty and steveo408 like this.
  3. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Well-Known Member

I also juat upgraded from Eris to Moto. Like going from a go cart to an F250...everything is better x10 to me.

Gonna experiment on that little toy now...lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. steveo408

I'm not really scared to death of rooting..I'm comfortable on command line, but I am scared of losing the warranty..I am paranoid about Verizon finding out if I were to have problems with the phone (I'm on meds for the paranoia it's not my fault I swear)

5. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

They wont find out unless you for some stupid reason take it into their store rooted. There is no way for them to detect you are rooted that we know of.

6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

I personally would root your phone if you're interested. There will be 2.2 based ROMs for root users long before the OTA ever gets there and if you accept the OTA update and decide you want to root after that you're just making more work for yourself.

7. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Welcome. I had the Eris before the droid as well, but with a storm 2 in between.. What a mistake that one was! But, the droid is solid.. and the power truly becomes evident once you root! But read up on it and make sure your comfortable doing it before you attempt it.

8. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

Rooting is so easy now it rediculous! Nothing to worry about IMO

9. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

I was rooted, used CM and BB, loved both of them, and overclocking. Now on my second Droid, the first is about to go back for data corruption problems on the first and replacement SD cards. (yes I put it back to stock before shipping).

I am so close to rooting this second phone, but it's so snappy and fast with Launcher Pro and ADW. I hardly notice the difference between this and the
    1 ghz root from before. Maybe web pages load a microsecond slower, but I don't miss the "acore" fc's and the other odds and ends errors that would pop up. OK try a different kernal, get stuck at the M, nandroid back, etc. etc. All lots of fun for a techie.... Bugless was great but never really bugless for me, and I may miss the miscellaneous tweaks available in both BB and CM, but I like having a VERY STABLE phone. When I start reading about the changes Froyo brings I'll probably re-root then, or maybe just wait for the OTA.....

10. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Well, sounds like you had some real bad luck, Mark, because that's really unusual.

11. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I decided I wanted to root b/c I was tired of the 2.1 update always being around the corner, but constantly being pushed back. Meanwhile there was this Bugless Beast thing going around and it sounded so enticing. Keep in mind I was a total and complete noob.

If you have some knowledge, then you'll def want to root. I'm a bit of a control freak and customization is paramount for me, so rooting was really the best thing that ever could have happened to me.

Although I'm still learning, I really feel comfortable w/ most of what needs to be done w/ root, now. Besides, before I rooted I found more help here than I could w/ technical support. That def holds true now that I am.

12. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

This replacement is just as good as the original, so far. I'm greatful as I've read some horor stories on this board about several replacements. I think there was just some glitch in the first one between the phone and the SD card.

13. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Mark...I think PK was talking about was your bad luck with the ROM's (not the replacement device).

I flop back and forth between CyanogenMod and Bugless Beast (or one of the optimized versions of those ROMs by people like Fabulous or JRummy). One of the reasons that these are my "everyday" ROMs is because they ARE as stable as a stock ROM.

14. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

I'll probably root again soon, already missing the tweaks and such...

15. steveo408

rooted and flashed nexbeast 1.1 OC too 1.1ghz. loving it so far, except the camera is buggy it makes the shutter sound for 3 seconds before i can take a picture..