• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What If I Delete Backup

Rooting for dummies guide section 5

yes you can go backwards, but keep a good backup just in case because if you mess something up it, depending on what it was it may be difficult to download the proper img file, push it to your root, and get to recovery to flash them and go backwards. You can always stay rooted and flash the stock rom too...

I move most of my backups to my laptop and keep a couple i know are good on my phone.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Rooting for dummies guide section 5

yes you can go backwards, but keep a good backup just in case because if you mess something up it, depending on what it was it may be difficult to download the proper img file, push it to your root, and get to recovery to flash them and go backwards. You can always stay rooted and flash the stock rom too...

I move most of my backups to my laptop and keep a couple i know are good on my phone.

Sounds good. I'll save them to my laptop as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
I once had some backups saved on my card, and realized that i didnt transfer them over (forgot) before i did a format on the card. Lost about 12 or so? they were good ones too, took me a long time to get them right how i liked them lol.

Just save some of the better ones, (and preferably one that is completely stock) on your computer just in case you ever need them. Youll never know when youll have a small problem and need to go back to when you know it was fine.

If you ever dont have a backup, and you are screwed up somehow, its ..mostly.. salvagable, and you can ask here for some help getting back up and running. Usually the worst thing is youll lose all of your settings texts apps data so on and so forth.

Just keep a couple on hand :)

Upvote 0
I once had some backups saved on my card, and realized that i didnt transfer them over (forgot) before i did a format on the card. Lost about 12 or so? they were good ones too, took me a long time to get them right how i liked them lol.

Just save some of the better ones, (and preferably one that is completely stock) on your computer just in case you ever need them. Youll never know when youll have a small problem and need to go back to when you know it was fine.

If you ever dont have a backup, and you are screwed up somehow, its ..mostly.. salvagable, and you can ask here for some help getting back up and running. Usually the worst thing is youll lose all of your settings texts apps data so on and so forth.

Just keep a couple on hand :)

Very good advice, thank you!!

Funny thing happened today...this lol

I moved from ClockWorkMod to Amon-Ra and had my backup stored onto CWM and forgot to back up my stuff in Amon. I believe that it was you evomattnc who suggested that I do that...should've listened and remembered. Anywho, got my phone back on track thanks to a good ol' download back to CWM and then restoring then going back to my original state before the ROM. Luckily I was able to do all of this without having to enter the Android OS part of the phone and just do it all in HBOOT and Recovery. A special thanks to evomattnc and other users on my previous thread, otherwise, I would've been phoneless for hours today.

But now, I will remember to do as you suggested too and just back up all of my backups.

Upvote 0
I did something like that too, when i switched over to Amon. I kept about 5 backups.

Boot into Clockwork, restore.
Flash Amon.
Make Amon Backup.
Flash Amon.
Make Amon backup.

Haha, did that for what seemed like forever. I also double checked them all by booting up the phone and making sure. So it took longer.

I am about to receive a replacement phone in a couple days too, so alllll of my backups are going kaput, and im going to have to start from a clean slate.
Oh well, itll force me to try new things :)

Upvote 0
I did something like that too, when i switched over to Amon. I kept about 5 backups.

Flash Amon.
Make Amon Backup.
Flash Amon.
Make Amon backup.

Haha, did that for what seemed like forever. I also double checked them all by booting up the phone and making sure. So it took longer.

I am about to receive a replacement phone in a couple days too, so alllll of my backups are going kaput, and im going to have to start from a clean slate.
Oh well, itll force me to try new things :)

So I'm assuming that backups created for one phone cannot be used in another? For instance, say I didn't backup at all and the same thing happened. Could it be possible to borrow a backup from another Evo owner and use their backup to restore my phone to another state?

Upvote 0
You are correct as in they will not work.
I was unsure about this as well, because i was upset that i was going to lose a ton of backups when i got my replacement phone.
I asked about it, and for one thing, the new recoveries back up your wimax keys. If you restore a backup from a different phone with those wimax keys, you will definitely break your new phones wimax.
But if you skip the wimax, there are a lot of problems that could arise while crossing backups.

I just trashed my nandroids, and im starting over from scratch.
I think its good, because you get a clean slate to work from. The phone runs so much more smoothly when you clean it out!

My new replacement phone is giving me some issues now though, so im going to have to figure out what to do about that -_- ...before i go and make a ton of backups on it lol

Upvote 0
You are correct as in they will not work.
I was unsure about this as well, because i was upset that i was going to lose a ton of backups when i got my replacement phone.
I asked about it, and for one thing, the new recoveries back up your wimax keys. If you restore a backup from a different phone with those wimax keys, you will definitely break your new phones wimax.
But if you skip the wimax, there are a lot of problems that could arise while crossing backups.

I just trashed my nandroids, and im starting over from scratch.
I think its good, because you get a clean slate to work from. The phone runs so much more smoothly when you clean it out!

My new replacement phone is giving me some issues now though, so im going to have to figure out what to do about that -_- ...before i go and make a ton of backups on it lol

Haha well thank you for the tips.

Good luck with that too. I hear Evo replacements are terrible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones