• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What if iphones stayed small screen??

any of android having 5 inch screens.
I agree.

In the nonexistent world where Steve Jobs is still alive, the nonexistent iPhone would absolutely out-perform all actual 5" Androids.

By a factor of one billion.

And you could text on your nonexistent iPhone while setting your Air Car on auto pilot while you zoom away to your golden cloud palace, flanked by Little Pwnies, flying high above your secret base in Pakistan.

Troll much? :D

Upvote 0
Depends what is meant by "better" and "perform". Apple has consistently lagged others on technical capabilities. The new world of iphone 6 has exacerbated that by moving even less further forward:

Apple: 2 Core | Android: Most 4 Core, Samsung readying 8 -Important for running many apps simultaneously
Apple: 1GB . | Android: Many 2GB mem -Important for running many apps simultaneously "

There is a long list of technical laggard gripes beginning with the iphone 1. iPhone 1 users who were made to switch to ATT complained because AT&T had no MMS. This was never true.. iphone 1 had no MMS, bluetooth or proper text handling. More recently is how long apple sat on NFC. Which is really all you are getting with the 6

Sometimes you have to add the suffix ", for me" to statements made by iphone owners. It helps their credibility.

"Apple technology is the best" + ", for me"

Upvote 0
"Apple technology is the best" + ", for me"

More like, "Apple technology is the best" + "in my opinion"...

THIS PARAGRAPH IS DELETED, OUT OF HAND AND OFF TOPIC

THE FOLLOWING LINE WAS MEANT TO BE INFORMATIVE, I WAS NOT TRYING TO SOUND LIKE A SMART ASS OR SARCASTIC IN ANY MANNER

EDIT: Oh, and @dan330, only the 6 plus is more than 5 inches (5.5 to be exact), the regular iPhone 6 is under 5 inches (4.7 to be exact)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, it's a great college, this young generation seems to care way too much about their image. And having an iPhone is apparently great for your image. People seem to associate having an iPhone to having money. Is it the case for every generation, that when they're young they care too much about their image?

Right now I am just taking gen-eds but plan to major in software engineering.

That sounds like this country. The two places where having an iPhone can convey status and wealth...US and China. :D

Upvote 0
No, it's a great college, this young generation seems to care way too much about their image. And having an iPhone is apparently great for your image. People seem to associate having an iPhone to having money. Is it the case for every generation, that when they're young they care too much about their image?
I'm not going to argue any of these points with you.

If you actually are in a good college, I have to assume that you're bright enough to already know everything wrong with what you said, and that this is some phase where you try to validate poor junior high school behavior to see if it will work for you as an adult.

Every generation has had status seekers. Many never outgrow it.

Those that aren't can spot those that are a mile away.

Status seekers think that everyone is like them or not as good, never realizing that the larger population is simply avoiding them as boorish.

Right now I am just taking gen-eds but plan to major in software engineering.
Without logic, your school may pass you as a software engineer but you won't be any good. Employers will be able to tell in a heartbeat. You'll be lucky enough to be given a chance somewhere.

You're getting the opportunity to mold a better life for yourself. How are you approaching it?

Do you judge people as not as educated as you, in your same great college, by their brand of belt holding up their pants?

Do you think I won't ask you that in a job interview after I expose your phone snobbery? And I will expose it, if it exists.

Do you think that I don't expect you to laugh in the interview, sure that they're not the same thing?

Do you not see that using logic, I will have just exposed to my satisfaction the limits to your creative thinking? And what I can expect from your behavior in the workplace?

I've hired more software engineers, programmers, and analysts than you may think possible - it's in the hundreds, and I only hire those that meet my standards for logic. I've turned down over a thousand of those that don't.

It's your life, I'm not your dad, boss, teacher, or preacher, I'm just an internet character.

You be as you see fit, I sincerely wish you a good life.

If you meet me or someone like me in an interview some day, you'll know it when it's done. Know now that you've been warned and that you're living years of your life that you don't get a do-over on.

Choose wisely and best luck my friend. :)
That sounds like this country. The two places where having an iPhone can convey status and wealth...US and China. :D
Amigo, judging how Americans look at status and wealth with iPhones based on forum comments is like studying the ocean by holding a sea shell to your ear. :D

Adults here know that they cost the same as other high end phones.

People with lives buy appliances based on ease of use, does it actually work like they say, and will it hold up.

People without lives try to buy one because they think that shiny things make them better people or even an actual person. They're just as likely to choose a shiny Android as a shiny iPhone and pretend they're not like the others who bought a different kind of shiny. And they will always claim to be in the minority, fighting the good fight. Some actually believe it.

Don't be fooled compadre. ;) :)

Reactions: mikedt and whitehat
Upvote 0
EXACTLY! The other major factor is that peer pressure makes people want to buy the things that their friends have, like iPhones and 360s.
Oh, so you've been China? And traveled extensively?

So you're prepared to make more transcontinental comparisons?

Excellent.

What part of peer pressure explains Germans preferring pork to beef?
That sentiment boggles the mind. Its a tool to do a job, and needs to be treated as such... the fundamental differentiator? Value

"Its the best" helps justify one of the largest turnovers of disposable incomes of all time. That staggers me.
I know.

They fool you by walking upright, yeah?

Upvote 0
Btw @quickdraw996 - if I seem harsh, I'm not.

If I seem like I'm making it personal, I'm not.

Just look at my words for exactly what they are at face value - food for thought from someone who hires people in what may become your chosen profession.

Fun fact - some people think you should NOT take things at face value.

That's backwards.

A old counterfeiting trick, I believe started in the Civil War, is to take the number corners off of a large bill, redeem the large bill at the bank as torn, and paste the numbers from the larger bill onto the corners of the smaller bill.

If you just look at the corners, you think you got a 20.

But if you look at the face in the center of the bill, you won't be fooled, you'll know it's just a buck.

So the adage, "Never take things at face value," is exactly backwards.

Do take things at face value - just be sure that you're looking at the big picture staring right at you. :) ;)

Upvote 0
I
I'm not going to argue any of these points with you.

If you actually are in a good college, I have to assume that you're bright enough to already know everything wrong with what you said, and that this is some phase where you try to validate poor junior high school behavior to see if it will work for you as an adult.

Every generation has had status seekers. Many never outgrow it.

Those that aren't can spot those that are a mile away.

Status seekers think that everyone is like them or not as good, never realizing that the larger population is simply avoiding them as boorish.

Without logic, your school may pass you as a software engineer but you won't be any good. Employers will be able to tell in a heartbeat. You'll be lucky enough to be given a chance somewhere.

You're getting the opportunity to mold a better life for yourself. How are you approaching it?

Do you judge people as not as educated as you, in your same great college, by their brand of belt holding up their pants?

Do you think I won't ask you that in a job interview after I expose your phone snobbery? And I will expose it, if it exists.

Do you think that I don't expect you to laugh in the interview, sure that they're not the same thing?

Do you not see that using logic, I will have just exposed to my satisfaction the limits to your creative thinking? And what I can expect from your behavior in the workplace?

I've hired more software engineers, programmers, and analysts than you may think possible - it's in the hundreds, and I only hire those that meet my standards for logic. I've turned down over a thousand of those that don't.

It's your life, I'm not your dad, boss, teacher, or preacher, I'm just an internet character.

You be as you see fit, I sincerely wish you a good life.

If you meet me or someone like me in an interview some day, you'll know it when it's done. Know now that you've been warned and that you're living years of your life that you don't get a do-over on.

Choose wisely and best luck my friend. :)

Amigo, judging how Americans look at status and wealth with iPhones based on forum comments is like studying the ocean by holding a sea shell to your ear. :D

Adults here know that they cost the same as other high end phones.

People with lives buy appliances based on ease of use, does it actually work like they say, and will it hold up.

People without lives try to buy one because they think that shiny things make them better people or even an actual person. They're just as likely to choose a shiny Android as a shiny iPhone and pretend they're not like the others who bought a different kind of shiny. And they will always claim to be in the minority, fighting the good fight. Some actually believe it.

Don't be fooled compadre. ;) :)

I understand where you're coming from, most of the my fellow college students simply don't care too much about their phone. They just want it to work. They also want what they're friends have. But what irritates me is that I am constantly asked why I have an android, like it's inferior. Why is free and open source shunned for no good reason? No, I'm not saying all of them are uneducated, that was a poor choice of words, we are all quite intelligent, what I was trying to get across was the fact that I know many people who buy Apple just because it's Apple, without looking at other choices and weighing options/pros and cons. Not all of them do but a large number do. And that is only a relatively small amount of people, I can only imagine it is a similar situation across the US.

No, I have not been to China, I was talking strictly about here in the US. I know little of daily life outside of the US.

Just curious, why do you say I will be unsuccessful? I am generally great with both computers and people, but some parts of consumerism in general confuses me, things like "why will people purchase a product strictly on brand alone.", that, I will never understand, or the concept of fanboys as well.

When I look to purchase something, I try and do as much do research as I can, and pick what suits me best. Brands are nothing but a name to me. If ios were a more open and customizable platform, there is a very good chance I would own an iPhone. But I can't stand a company closing me in a small "prison". That and diversity drive me to choose android. But I don't care what others choose as long as I am not bugged by others about my personal choices (which I am, a lot).

Now I apologize because some of the things I've said are definitely out of line. However, I have not attacked you in any manner, and would appreciate the same respect. I am going to clean up my posts, or you could delete them (you're a moderator right?) This has gotten out of hand and that is my fault for starting something with I should not have.

I APOLOGIZE

EDIT: MY POSTS WERE CLEANED

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I wish to make the most of my life, and I am apparently blind to something you see. You are knowledgeable in the field of my passion. So if you could please answer my question so that I may see what you see, and become successful at what I want/love to do.

Just curious, why do you say I will be unsuccessful? I am generally great with both computers and people, but some parts of consumerism in general confuses me, things like "why will people purchase a product strictly on brand alone.", that, I will never understand, or the concept of fanboys as well.

Upvote 0
No apologies are necessary! :) ;)

If I take your first posts here and last post above at face value (see what I did there?) I see two different pictures.

The first, partial picture of your view wasn't complementary - you focused on an aspect of your experience.

I responded to that.

This last post, you let your hair down and told your whole story - and it paints a much better picture of your views, experiences, and conclusions.

Stay focused on that bigger picture, let people know where the whole you stands like that whenever asked, and by the time you graduate, I'd be happy to interview you if your interests matched my needs. :) Probably delighted even.

PS - please see my post about not intending anything personal.

If it still doesn't make sense, please allow me to apologize.

Remember - it's ok for buds to not always see eye to eye and to hash things out. No big deal.

But my apology is. ;) :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
That sentiment boggles the mind. Its a tool to do a job, and needs to be treated as such... the fundamental differentiator? Value

"Its the best" helps justify one of the largest turnovers of disposable incomes of all time. That staggers me.

Yes, but now they are so much more than just a tool, they can serve many more, less important, functions now, this thing is my connection to the rest of the world, my gps, my handheld game system, my pocketable tv, my assistant, my camera, my flashlight, and so much more, that is why they are so popular now, they are nearly everything in your pocket. Honestly I don't know how I could live without my phone. (Mostly because it's my only source of Internet and my desktop pc is almost as old as I am (I think it is about 15 years old now, but somehow it can still run windows 7 and office 2013) ).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
He certainly set the stage at the annual announcements, didn't he?

How do you think Apple would be different if he were there today?

Do you think he would approve of the two new phones?

Back on topic, I think he was too smart not to see the trend of big screens becoming very popular and their market share going down to those big screen phones. He would have wooed the masses again, this time just like any other. He probably would have sold it better than Tim Cook, and therefore sold even more phones than their already huge sales numbers.

Upvote 0
No apologies are necessary! :) ;)

If I take your first posts here and last post above at face value (see what I did there?) I see two different pictures.

The first, partial picture of your view wasn't complementary - you focused on an aspect of your experience.

I responded to that.

This last post, you let your hair down and told your whole story - and it paints a much better picture of your views, experiences, and conclusions.

Stay focused on that bigger picture, let people know where the whole you stands like that whenever asked, and by the time you graduate, I'd be happy to interview you if your interests matched my needs. :) Probably delighted even.

PS - please see my post about not intending anything personal.

If it still doesn't make sense, please allow me to apologize.

Remember - it's ok for buds to not always see eye to eye and to hash things out. No big deal.

But my apology is. ;) :)

EXACTLY, but I feel as if my posts were not on topic, even uncalled for, and should be removed to keep the thread going as it should, this thread should not be turning into arguments, but instead talking about the original topic in a civilized and orderly manner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones