What is 3G Mobile HotSpot & Tethering?

Last Updated:

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest This Topic's Starter

I'm seeing this a lot lately on forums and I'm still kind of confused. What does the 3G Mobile HotSpot app do on my DX? Is it just a tethering app? For instance, I can connect my laptop to Verizons 3G network and access the internet? I'm too sure what the app does? I saw the TBH hack for it but I thought tethering was free?

What's the difference between 3G HotSpot and say Wireless Tether for Root Users in the Market? There are some many apps, PDANET, etc.

Advertisement
  2. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

yes they both use vzw internet connection through your x to tether ....the difference is that 3g mobile hotspot can tether up to 5 devices while wireless tether can only tether to a single device to my knowledge .....now if you want 3g hotspot just download the app from tbh if you dont already have it then download the patcher that is in the tbh app as well:D

3. Scooter70

Scooter70 Well-Known Member

Not quite. Wireless Tether can do multiple devices as well. The difference is that WT only does ad-hoc networks while the 3G Hotspot does Infrastructure. Some devices (including Android) can't connect to an ad-hoc network. I tested it this morning and my co-workers Motorola Cliq was able to connect to my DX with the 3G Hotspot app (with the TBH hack).

gmenfan83 likes this.
  4. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing this up ....if you say android can't connect to a ad-hoc network the only confusion I have is last night I myself was testing my hotspot and wireless tether ...and my gf was able to connect to my wireless tether ....if android can't connect to ad-hoc then how did hers connect? I am by no means saying your wrong as I appreciate the explaination but maybe im misunderstanding you?

5. Scooter70

Hmmm.... I just did some digging around and evidently it was fixed somewhere along the way. I didn't see whether it was a hardware or software change. It seems that the Droid X can connect ad-hoc. My cubemate's Cliq XT (running Android 1.5) can connect to my 3G Hotspot but it doesn't see my phone when I use WifiTether For Root.

Maybe I'll try my wife's D1 tonight and see if that can connect.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

There's ways to hack the wap_supplicant.conf file to get it to detect ad-hoc, but it was not fixed in Froyo.

I can assure you, my Tab will only connect to Ad-hoc (that is, without the hack, but I find it is just easier and more useful to hack the 3G hotspot on my X).

7. budmonster

so im guessing you guys recommend using the 3g hotspot on my dx and using the hack then using "wireless tether for root" or some other tethering app? i have the TBH app, what do i need to do? gotta a couple more ?s.

-so does "wireless tether for root" work with 5 devices or not? or does only the VZW hotspot work with 5?

-how will i know if the hack works? i cant call vzw and ask them if have any extra charges lol. i just dont want the hack to work than get billed 30 a month or whatever it is.

i remember using wireless tether for root to connect to my laptop when my power went out and i didnt see any extra charges on my bill that time. ive only tether once. im wondering if heavy usage is what causes vzw to be alerted?

thx-bud

8. budmonster

bump

9. Scooter70

You can check your data usage on MyVerizon at verizonwireless.com or using the MyVerizon app on your phone. It's usually pretty quick to update so if you tether and then check your usage (maybe give it a day or two if you want) and you should see no extra charges for data usage.

I've connected multiple devices at the same time to my old Droid using Barnicle Wifi Tether so I would assume that Wireless Tether is the same, though I haven't had the need to try it on my Droid X yet.