What is a GOOD wall charger?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. jp3_99

jp3_99 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I received a cellet wall charger today that said would work with the evo but when I plug it in it makes the phone lag really really bad and as soon as I unplug it the phone returns to normal.

I am sure it is just a bad charger and replacing it with another would probably work, but the output specs on this thing are all different than the one that came with the phone, they are, 4.5-9.5v Max 0.8A.

So that leads me on a search for a good cheap charger that will work, I dont want to drop $35 on the sprint one if I dont have to. So can anyone recommend a charger that has output of, 5v Max 1A?

Advertisement
  2. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

No flames please, but I use the iPhone one. It's the smallest I've personally seen. Works great.

[​IMG]

3. Hrshycro

Hrshycro Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd pick up some apple ones if I could find them on craigslist or from friends; they're small, powerful, sexy. Haha.

4. portugee

portugee New Member

5. mobilemaniac

mobilemaniac Well-Known Member

Can you tell me if your EVO says it's charging by USB or AC when you use this charger? It's under Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery

I ask because I've tried two other AC chargers (both 5V 1A) with the stock USB cable and the phone reports USB charging for both. Only the included HTC charger says "AC". I'm wondering if it's pulling an iphone and looking for power on pins 2 and 3.

6. Kaskimondo

Kaskimondo Well-Known Member

I just plugged the EVO in with a LG lotus charger, checked status and it says AC charging.

The thing is, it's a 5.1v=0.7a Do you think this is OK? I'm guessing it's 700Ma but the 5.1v, will that be an issue?

7. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

8. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

I've been charging my HTC TP with the Apple plug for a long time now and the speed at which it charges convinces me that it's charging under AC. I will have to double check when I get the Evo today though.

9. mobilemaniac

I don't think the 5.1V is a problem at all. I'm sure there is some margin for variability. That's well within 5%.

10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

While it may be ugly, they definitely work. Been using 'em for a while with Palm Pre's and now with my Evo. Solid, reliable, low cost solution.

11. mobilemaniac

Hey Neoshi,

Did you get a chance to try your Apple charger on the EVO yet? I just want to know if it detects it as an AC charger (rather than USB).

12. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

Not yet. I'm working out an issue with Sprint regarding discounts before I activate my Evo :( Hopefully today they'll respond!

13. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I charged mine today with an Apple charger. No difference than with the charger that came with the Evo. Didn't see anything indicating AC or USB - just the charging lightning bolt on the battery. Seems to charge a bit faster than the OEM unit.

14. mobilemaniac

If you go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery under Battery status it will say Charging (USB) or (AC).

15. lopezbnj

lopezbnj Well-Known Member

In fact, it is compatible with most micro USB wall charger. Therefore, which brand makes no difference...

16. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

A good wall charger is one that's micro USB.

17. bhtoque

bhtoque Member

mobilemaniac even a 5v/1a kodak camera charger comes up as charging ac on mine. It knows when it's on a pc though.

JAson

18. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

LOL...The one from my iPhone works great! The white piece. I plug the EVO usb cable into it and boom!

19. toader

toader Member

Question for you guys...

I need a spare charging system for my EVO up at work. The one that came in the box works fine for at home. Should I get one of those one-piece micro usb travel chargers from Amazon, OR, should I get a 2-piece charging system with the USB power plug and a separate USB cable?

Which is better?

If the second option is better, can you get any old USB to Micro USB cable?

20. Rigmaster

I'd advice you to get the transformer and cable as separate pieces because it gives more options. As far as which transformer, I like the Apple 5V/1A block-style units. I spend a little extra on electronic accessories from known vendors/makers because they can be big trouble if they don't work properly.

21. scnat

scnat Active Member

22. mobilemaniac

Actually, it's not that simple. Like I said, I've tried two USB AC adapters and the phone reports USB charging. This is fine if you want slow charging and are not using the device heavily while charging. Also, there are many reports of phone's touchscreens freaking out when using certain wall chargers.

Touchscreen not working with generic USB Charger!? - Android Central Forums

23. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

The apple charger is 5V @ 1A so it would not surprise me that this is charging under AC. Faster though, I don't know, since the OEM unit, made by Emerson Network Energy, is also 5V @ 1A.

24. Rigmaster

Apple charger works well and is the right voltage. I just ordered Gomadic Dual Home and Car Chargers that have the right specs and are made in USA with lifetime warranty. I should be set.

Oh, and it's definitely not as simple as any charger will do. The phone will use more power while on than many trickle chargers can deliver. I believe USB indicator is just making it known that trickle (slow) charging is going on rather than quick (lightning bolt) charging. Using the Evo while trickle charging probably will result in either a really long charge time or an actual loss of power if the trickle isn't delivering more than the phone is using. Someone else pointed out that Evo uses approx 375mah/hr, which sound about right.