What is A6262? Are there different models?

Last Updated:

1. rankorn

rankorn Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I am planning to buy an unlocked HTC hero.

I have found it on some US sites but with different names and I was wondering if there are several models or it's just site specific names.

On one site it is called: HTC Hero Android G2 A6262 White Smartphone Unlocked Import
    On another site it is just called: HTC Hero Fully Unlocked - White

What is the A6262 thing?
    Why the first site use "G2" in the name and not "G3"?

Any help is appreciated, I don't want to buy the wrong thing here...

Thanks
    Ran

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the same UK model. I have the HTC white unlocked model (with chin!) and the other one is the same phone but branded T-Mobile.

Could be wrong but this is my guess. If they both have chins, they are the Euro model.

3. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

The G2 is the Hero as sold by T-Mobile in Europe. They MyTouch is not called the G2 in any market anywhere. The MyTouch sold by T-Mobile in the US is the HTC Magic which is sold by Vodafone in the UK - not T-Mobile.

4. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

A6262 is the hero. What other markets call it can be confusing so i guess they gave it a number. I'm intrigued to weather the chinless hero gets the same number.

5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

A6262 is the Hero. The phone I bought was referred to by this model number. The whole title was something like HTC A6262 Unlocked Android Hero - White.

Update: I went and found the exact title for my phone's listing: HTC Hero A6262 Unlocked GSM White Phone Brand New

6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

My Hero has 1.0.0.A6288 listed under Settings - About phone - Software version.... what does yours report?

7. quantumrand

1.0.0.A6288 as well. I hadn't bothered checking what it said before I updated to the 2.73 ROM though. I would assume it used to say 1.0.0.A6262 prior to the update.

8. Slug

Bang goes that theory then.... I'm sure mine showed A6288 previously. Anyone else with an Orange-branded handset confirm? :confused:

I'm kinda up to speed with build numbers (e.g. x.xxx.61.x for Orange) but it would be good to be able to answer similar queries to the OP's in future with some confidence too.

9. rankorn

Thank you all for the info.

So my conclusion is that all unlocked HTC heros are the same no matter what name they get on the sites...

So the best thing to do is get one and upgrade the ROM?

10. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Yep, if I were you, I would get one & once you have gone through the initial setup, run the ROM upgrade (thereby, essentially going through the process a 2nd time, as all your information, apps, etc, will be wiped off the phone).

11. rankorn

What is the process of ROM upgrade? Can you please specify or point me to a thread or site where I can get more info?

12. quantumrand

It's really simple actually. You go to HTC's site, under software downloads, and get the latest HTC Sync installer as well as the new 2.73 ROM (it'll ask you for your serial number). On the 2.73 ROM download page, it has all the instructions you need. With a modern computer, it'll only take like 5 minutes to flash your Hero.

13. gibbo

gibbo Member

Im still using an untouched T-mobile "Hero" and my version is 1.0.0.A6288

14. quantumrand

According to the box my Hero came in, it's the A6262. Its current software version number is the 1.0.0.A6288. Whether the firmware update changed it or not, I'm not sure, but it seems like it was at least at some point the A6262.

My guess is that there were A6262 versions as well as A6288 versions of the original firmware, and HTC has since combined both versions with their 2.73 firmware update.

15. Slug

Ah-ha, good call! Just dug my own box out of storage and the model is listed as "A6262" also. Thanks for clearing that up.