what is "Always-on mobile Data" ?

Last Updated:

1. ItsMyDesire

ItsMyDesire Member This Topic's Starter

i've unticked this, and I still get gmail, k-9 and other apps updating. it seems to make no difference to anything!!!

I presume its like having your broadband at home permanently connected? (if on), and when off, it 'dials up' each time to connect?

When unticking it i get a warning about possible apps not working. does anyone know what sorta apps might not work?

Advertisement
  2. KingRolo

KingRolo Member

where's this option at? i cant see it

3. pace960

pace960 Member

Menu,Settings,Wireless and Networks, Mobile Networks. Enable always on Mobile.

4. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I think that 'Always on' refers to when you have the mobile network 'on' it tries to maintain a data connection at all times. The apps that wont work are anything that requires a constant data flow (e.g. google maps and directions)

The updating of other account is dealt with in 'accounts and sync', and these can be set up individually.

5. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

If you're connected to a wireless network then the phone will use that instead, unless you tell it not to.

6. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

My understanding is that with this on, the phone will connect even when asleep, which drains the battery. Turn this off and when you aren't using the phone it will disconnect.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I've done a little testing over the last few days in turning this off.

With it off, I've actually got LESS battery time 40hrs instead of almost 48 with similar usage.

My thoughts are it takes more power to keep turning on/off the mobile data as apps need it rather than simply polling the server to keep the link open.

Anyone else done a comparison test?

8. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Good point, maybe it depends on how often you use the phone, if you only pick it up a few times a day then maybe it will save battery. For me, its saved battery and it seems to be a quite popular recommendation when people complain about poor battery life.

9. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

I've done a fair bit of Googling on this, and I've yet to find a definitive answer as to exactly what this setting is for. From my own personal, pretty extensive, testing I've concluded that it serves only to drain my battery. I leave this off and it has no negative effects on any app at all, and I get much better battery life.

I can only surmise that, as others have suggested, it maintains a constant mobile data connection instead of opening and closing one as the ndividual apps require.

Interesting. You may well be right. If you use a lot of apps that communicate very regularly then it may well be more efficient to leave this ticked. I think it will be down to personall experience as to what setting is best.

10. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

I too would like to know what this setting is for. It seems to make no difference if it's checked or unchecked.

Also, regardless of whether it's checked or unchecked if I have mobile data turned on and wifi turned off, the data connection notification symbol, the one with G E 3G or H on it constantly stays in the notification bar regardless of whether I'm using any data or not. Both arrows are grey indicating that no data is being transfered but, according to the manual, this state indicates that you have a connection.

I don't understand this as even if I have background data transfer and auto sync disabled in Accounts & Sync, plus Always-on mobile Data disabled too the icon never goes away indicating I still have a connection. Doesn't seem to make any sense at all.