• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is android.process.acore...and why is it sucking up so much battery power?

Humpzilla

Lurker
Jun 25, 2010
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker (since April!) and first time poster. Lately, when I check my battery useage, i'm seeing "android.process.acore" and it is consistently draining between 6 and 10% of my battery...while using a ton of data. Can anyone shed some light on what this is...do you all have it running as well? It kind of looks like one of those things I don't want to "kill" -- but maybe I do?

From what I can tell, it looks like it has something to do with search information. I did install the app 'Searchify' a week or so ago, maybe that has something to do with it...originally I didn't see this process listed under battery useage.

Thanks in advance for the help guys

you're lucky that android.process.acore is only burning <10% of your battery -- mine consumes 30% or MORE of my battery. My battery life SUCKS -- today is a good example. I unplugged it 8 hours and 42 mins ago and it's red and nearly dead. I have made exactly two phone calls with it, each lasting less than 5 mins. I checked my email about 10 times, but didn't write or send any. that's it -- and the battery is basically dead. I use Advanced Task Killer to blow everything away but no joy.

Verizon replaced my battery AND my phone, and i still can't get thru a day with only trivial use.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to deal with this, i'd love to hear it.

Upvote 0
you're lucky that android.process.acore is only burning <10% of your battery -- mine consumes 30% or MORE of my battery. My battery life SUCKS -- today is a good example. I unplugged it 8 hours and 42 mins ago and it's red and nearly dead. I have made exactly two phone calls with it, each lasting less than 5 mins. I checked my email about 10 times, but didn't write or send any. that's it -- and the battery is basically dead. I use Advanced Task Killer to blow everything away but no joy.

Verizon replaced my battery AND my phone, and i still can't get thru a day with only trivial use.

i can see how having a verizon evo would be a problem.

but really, you need to adjust yoru settings.

i sent a couple of texts, took a phone call, surfed the web a bit, and streamed PJ radio for two hours and still have about 40% left after 9 hours off charge

Upvote 0

OK - __IF__ you have an Evo, you can follow all of this advice - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

If you don't then you might consider that advice - but not a factory reset unless you __know__ it is ok for your phone. I take zero responsibility for that.

For a good battery round-up, that _might_ apply to your phone -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

Otherwise, not sure how to help.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies. I have a Verizon Droid, not an Evo.

Adjust what settings? My email is checked only every 15 mins, my display is setting to half-bright and times out after 30 seconds, i have Bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi turned off. what else can i do?

Well, maybe look over those posts and see if some of the named settings might apply to your Droid - they might exist under a different menu hierarchy (my pal with a Droid is out of town, so I can't check right off) but the concepts will probably hold.

And don't do any factory resetting unless it's _known safe_ for your phone.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker (since April!) and first time poster. Lately, when I check my battery useage, i'm seeing "android.process.acore" and it is consistently draining between 6 and 10% of my battery...while using a ton of data. Can anyone shed some light on what this is...do you all have it running as well? It kind of looks like one of those things I don't want to "kill" -- but maybe I do?

From what I can tell, it looks like it has something to do with search information. I did install the app 'Searchify' a week or so ago, maybe that has something to do with it...originally I didn't see this process listed under battery useage.

Thanks in advance for the help guys

I had this same issue before FroYo. For me, Facebook was running that process continuously.

Upvote 0
well, i'm just about ready to give up.

i followed all of the instructions on this page http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/108389-evo-issues-excessive-data-bad-battery-random-reboots-magic-bullet-facebook-sync.html
including turning off background sync'ing and such. I was pretty optimistic, but i'm not getting the results i want. my battery still dies waaaay too soon.

today my phone was fully charged at 6:30am, i made a call for literally 2 minutes, and didn't touch it until 11 am, when it was 50% drained. I charged it in my car for 20 minutes, and now it's almost dead, four hours later, and i have not used it once.

it's telling me that my email is responsible for 58% of the usage -- but i haven't written or read a single email on it. i have two email accounts on this phone:

1. a corporate exchange account that checks email every 30 minutes
2. a personal account that checks email every 30 minutes

what the heck is going on?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem but it has only been happening for the last 2 weeks or so. Before that, i never saw that process and now it eats up over 40% of my battery usage.

I am suspect of some issues I have been having with Touchdown and syncing to my exchange server. I have been getting database corruption errors and then it takes forever to synch the contacts.

I feel as if these two things are related. Do you have touchdown or any problems syncing?

Upvote 0
I realize this thread is a bit musty, but I ran across it while looking for something else.

My experience has been that there is a bug in the email client that is stock with Android. At least, the email client I had on my Samsung Intercept had a bug; at intervals for unknown reason it would suck 100% of the processor until the battery was dead. Only solution was to kill it.

So, I removed it from the phone (my phone is rooted) and replaced it with K9-Mail from the market. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
Seems this error message "android.process.acore has stopped followed by force close is a common problem and on most all of the tech forums. Anyone with new information on it? I receive the notification while pretty much doing anyone on my phone texting, facebook, twitter and sometimes while just sitting on idle. I have tried soft and hard resets but to no avail the dreaded thing is still there. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums!

android.process.acore is tied to Contacts, Home (actions like using widgets or the launcher) and that sort of thing.

Because it ties to several things, fixing it gets mysterious and confusing.

If you've tried factory (hard) reset, suggest as follows -

Goto your Contacts on the web, ensure no duplicates, make a backup by creating an export vCard of everything (under Contacts, see button for more actions).

Goto settings on your phone, manage Applications, running apps, Contacts, clear cache and data.

Turn off auto-sync, and then manually sync (there's an HTC widget to manually sync, and PowerControl widget (built-in) allows you turn on/off auto-sync.

Run without auto-sync and see if it stabilized.

If not, do same process for your Facebook settings, if that doesn't help, start clearing out custom widgets, etc.

If using a custom launcher (not Sense), ensure that it's up to date.

That's the best I can think of at the moment...

Upvote 0
Interesting enough there are a lot of guess of how to correct this issue. The one that seems to have worked for me, is going into settings, unmounting the SD card, after it is unmounted pulling the card and reinserting it where it automatically mounts.

My issue was trying to edit contacts I would get the error and have to force close. After going through the remounting of the SD card I was able to edit the contacts.

Very weird. Try the simple steps before rebooting, uninstalling, or reinitializing the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones