1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

What is background data?

Last Updated:

1. katrinalee89

katrinalee89 Member

I'm trying to limit my data usage (since Verizon has now forced everyone to the awful new plans) so I'm going through my data usage sections in settings. I was clicking each application and I'm given the option to restrict background data. What does that mean? What is foreground data?

Advertisement
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Back ground data is when an app like the google Play downloads in the background while you do something else. The app is doing something in the foreground while you're doing something else as it could be syncing or downloading etc.
  3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

You can tell most apps not do that, so you do it when you say so. There’s also stuff like Connection Manager to turn data off completely. But whatever is doing that backgrounding will probably still want it done at some point, and that’s still data.
  4. regression

regression Well-Known Member

If I disable background data, will Google Latitude still update my location?
  5. jefboyardee

Having never used it, I don’t know if Google Latitude uses a data connection, but I suspect it does. But you can of course see by turning data off and trying it.
  6. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Droidwall is handy single interface to disable data usage for any App you don't want using data. Simple example is Apps which have no need for internet other than Advertisements. Also can independently block wifi.

Not only helps you manage your data, but also your battery and possibly your security (although it's not fail-safe for security).
  7. jefboyardee