What is bloatware and what does it doSupport

Last Updated:

1. cayenneturbo

cayenneturbo New Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to android and just got a Fascinate. Love it so far compared to my BB Storm2. What programs are consindered bloatware. I bought system app remover and removed bing, VCAST but what else can I remove and aside from taking up space does it do anything else.

Advertisement
  2. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member

It's pretty much crap you may never use, that just takes up space
    on the phone. You could uninstall every Verizon app, if you don't
    use them. There is an office app, and some games you could
    most likely take off also. I don't have my FN with me right now,
    so I can't give you the names.

3. saps

saps Well-Known Member

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

It's always good to see a list such as that, along with "ymmv" sentiments. ;)

For example, I removed the vsuiteapp.apk and did see the FC, but it vanished upon reboot never to return, so that apk remains in byte heaven and not in my Fascinate's system.

I got persistent FCs when removing one of the "safe" apks on the list: vnav*.

I restored it and the FCs continued, much to my dismay. I then restored the whole mess ("unrooted") and the FCs went away, obviously. But guess what, when I removed the vnav* again it did not elicit the force closes this time.

I'm thinking that a linked dependency somewhere was corrupted the first time. I'm also thinking that is why we see varying results, different lists of "safe" apps to remove.

Your Mileage May Vary! ;)

5. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yes fair point. I suppose every bit of tinkering should come with that disclaimer. I mean shoot there are people who install common, popular apps from the market and get FCs. Sometimes stuff does just happen and there's no rhyme or reason behind it.