What is Cell broadcasting (under Call settings)?

Last Updated:

1. mcchriswood

mcchriswood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Should this option be checked or unchecked??
    Think i accidently checked it but have no idea what it is :s?
    Can anyone tell me what it is or tell me whether i should have it checked or not??
    Or if it comes unchecked as default?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. reech

reech Well-Known Member

On Vodafone UK years ago, activating cell broadcasting on my old Samsung phone made a display appear on my screen that showed the area codes that were local to me (this was before 'general use minute'. I think it's something to do with the cell tower... but I am not sure if any operator currently uses it.

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

mine is unchecked if that's any help. I have never touched it so I guess it is the default setting

4. adizz131

adizz131 Well-Known Member

Cell Broadcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

e.g,
    Cell Broadcast messaging has a number of features that make it particularly appropriate for emergency purposes:
    It is not as affected by traffic load; therefore, it may be usable during a disaster when load spikes tend to crash networks, as the 7 July 2005 London bombings showed. Another example was during the Tsunami catastrophe in Asia. Dialog GSM, an operator in Sri Lanka was able to provide ongoing emergency information to its subscribers, to warn of incoming waves, to give news updates, to direct people to supply and distribution centres, and even to arrange donation collections using Celltick's Cell Broadcast Center, based on Cell Broadcast Technology.