What is Deodexed & ZipalignedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader Well-Known Member

What are the meanings for those 2 terms?

I'm a n00b!e :)

Advertisement
  2. hvrc

hvrc Well-Known Member

I know deodex is removing files that have the same names as apps or other bloat ware in system files. Zipaligned is kind of self explanitory for the most part. If those terms are being used as in a custom rom, it means its going to react a bit faster. I've rooted past phones and one by one deleted the odex files from the system, did not notice any difference but it cut down on the stock roms weight. As far as zipaligned, I would think its (rom) is zipped a certain way to decrease malfunction or bricks.
    Matrix Leader likes this.
  3. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

saw this thread a few days ago and almost forgot about it...

to understand what deodexed means you have to first understand what odexed means...

a good place to get a pretty easy to understand definition of odexed vs deodexed is HERE

what it boils down to is this...ODEXED is the way things work stock...basically your .apk's (apps) are not all contained exactly in the same spot, they are structured differently so that they are more optimized and the OS (Android) can access them in a more efficient fashion...

the problem here is that it makes modification to these apps much more difficult because there are bits and pieces in different places...so changing things becomes difficult because it can cause all sorts of problems, this is a real issue for themes...

so to alleviate this we DEODEX...what this does is take everything and put it back together in the same place...makes things much easier to modify or theme...

in THEORY the only difference in performance between the two should be seen with boot times...a DEodexed ROM may boot SLIGHTLY slower because it is slightly less optimized than an odexed ROM...but this should really only happen on the first boot or until Android has the chance to build the cache files it needs...

i guess its POSSIBLE that there could be an unmeasurable performance gain from staying odexed in normal circumstances...but its nothing you would EVER notice...

as for zipaligned...its really just an optimization for Android .apk's
  4. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the easy to understand explanation man! Can I send you a cookie? :)