What is eMMC Brickbug?

1. glore2002

glore2002 Well-Known Member

Hello!

This is something I've read in other thread but I don't understand it clearly. I ran eMMC Check app (from play store) to check my device and got this results:

eMMC chip
    Type VYL00M
    Date: 09/2011
    etc.

Brick Bug?
    Yes, insane chip.

Then I checked memory and it said congrats test passed or something like that.

Now I am running NEAT ROM Lite (the last one 1st of July).

What does this mean? Is there anything wrong? What should I do to make sure everything is ok?

Does it mean I should only flash Siyah or Chainfire kernels and avoid unknown ones?

Thanks in advance,
    Glore2002.-

Advertisement
    :
  2. Logan47

Logan47 Disabled

glore2002 likes this.
  3. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Well-Known Member

4. glore2002

So, what should I do?
    Is there anything to flash to fix this brick bug?
    Thanks my friends.
  5. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

No, either your emmc chip is susceptible to this bug or it isn't. Its a hardware issue.
    You can run a GotBrickBug? app that will tell you this.
    If this app says your clear, then you have nothing to fear.
    If it says you have the bug (and it probably will, as most GS2's are open to it), you have nothing to fear unless you install a rogue kernel and you do any sort of wipe or restore.
    glore2002 likes this.
  6. Rudedawg

So in effect , If we flash new roms in future then its basically a no wipe situation. BUT , Hawker you've stated using your app IS safe because its based on GB code, correct?

Trying to not confuse myself as well as others.

NOTE to the lovely mods of this forum , can you please add this to Hawkers post on the subjet>
  7. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

My impression of Hawker...

:banghead:
  8. Rudedawg

That explains alot :rolleyes:
  9. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

If your GS2 is prone to the emmc bug (check with the GotBrickBug? app) then the bottom line is, you are susceptible.

2 things are required to trigger the brick:

1. You have flashed a rogue kernel that has MC_CAP_ERASE=1
    2. You subsequently perform any sort of wipe (eg. cache, dalvik, factory reset) or restore via CWM Recovery whilst still on this rogue kernel.

It's possible, and I emphasise possible, that wiping via GS2ROMNuke whilst on a rogue kernel will not envoke the bug, as my script is built with old GB update-binary. I cannot say this for definite, as my gonads are simply not big enough to test it out for you guys!

Rule of thumb is:
    1. Stick to kernels you know. (eg. Siyah). Obviously there is still an element of risk, as Gokhan got caught out a couple of months back, and now more recently with this 4.0.4 release, chainfire, although all he does is bundle Samsung kernels with busybox etc in order to root. Bottom line is the finger will invariably point back to Samsung when things like this go wrong.
    2. Let the dust settle before new kernel/android releases come out. Flash ROM's to your heart's content, but when a ROM comes out that is on a new base, or on a leaked or untested kerne, then let others find out the worst for you! I know its hard not to just dive in, but there will always be instant flashers out there, so let them sort out the wheat from the chaff.
    avushkaa and glore2002 like this.
  10. Rudedawg

Well ain't it a damn good thing we found a good ROM at last.
  11. glore2002

What about Official 4.04 ROM. I mean the one Samsung released for Russia. Is it safe to flash that one?
    Edit: This are the features:
    Android: 4.0.4 Build date: July 5 Changelist: 837163 PDA: I9100XWLPM MODEM: I9100XXLQ6 CSC: I9100OXELP8
    Thanks again.
  12. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

They are all safe as long as you dont use CWM after flashing to wipe/restore.

But there have been reports of the problem in LPM however, so my advice is to avoid for the time being.
    glore2002 likes this.
  13. glore2002

So if I install it and want to go back to any nandroid previous version I am in trouble? If so, as you said, better wait until a safe ROM is released.
    Thank you. Hawker, you are a kind of master of the Universe for the rest of us. Again, thanks!
  14. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

You could be.
    Install Chainfire's GotBrickBug? application to see if your chip is susceptible to the bug or not. (this checks the chip itself, and has nothing to do with whatever your current kernel happens to be)

If it says your ok, then you can do whatever you want.

If it says you are at risk, it doesnt mean you will brick your device on next CWM restore/wipe, but there is certainly a good chance. As long as you have a duff kernel installed with LPM, the more CWM wipes/restores you perform with it on, the bigger the chance of bricking. It could happen on the very first wipe, or it may brick a few wipes down the line.

Bottom line is, unless GotBrickBug says your clear, DO NOT RISK IT!
    glore2002 likes this.
  15. glore2002

I am in risk so I wont flash yet. Thanks!
  16. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

A wise move indeed sir.
    :thumbup:
  17. tsam19

tsam19 Well-Known Member

Hello all

I have installed the 'got brickbug' app onto my 'note' today and it comes back with the message:

eMMC chip

type:VYL00M
    CID:15010056594c30304d19bf535e873f5d
    Revision: 0x19

Verdict:

DANGER ! This eMMC chip is *KNOWN* to have the brick bug !

I haven't rooted it or flashed another ROM onto it and quite frankly I'm not sure what to do?

Do I need to send it back to Samsung or how do I change the status of the eMMC chip to *SAFE* ?

What limitations are there with this Galaxy Note I have?

I don't want to brick it and have to send it back and wait weeks for it to be returned.

Thanks for reading.[​IMG]
  18. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

How ironic!!!
    :rolleyes:

All you need to know is on this thread mate
    ;)

And by the way, this forum is for the GS2.
    It may be worth you posting into the Galaxy Note forum instead if you want to know more about any limitations this device may have.