What is Handcent?

Last Updated:

1. NCHornet

NCHornet Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I notice a lot of people are using this app so I looked it up. But the description really didn't make sense to me. Can someone explain what this app really does and if it is worth using? Thanks I appreciate the help. This phone is amazing, it blows my mind how far cell phones have come in the last 10 years!!!
    Thanks Again

NCH

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

My advice is this: if you see something is popular, and it's free...download it and use it. If you don't like it, just uninstall it. That's the best way to learn about any app.

I will however answer your question since you asked: It's a superior replacement to the native/stock "Messaging" app for SMS/MMS. And yes, it's worth using.

3. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member

4. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

just use it its worth it.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I'll remember this next time YOU ask a question.

Op - it's a replacement way to view your text messages. Some people love it, personally though I dont like it.

Lizzrd likes this.
  6. caliboy99

caliboy99 Well-Known Member

Ive only used chomp, it fits my needs and wants in a text app and mms works on it to :)

7. NCHornet

NCHornet Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

don't mind way the text messages work now not sure I will try this one. I am trying not to load this phone up with useless crap. The tech said that is the main reason they see problems with the Hero. Thanks for the info.

NCH

8. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say its the main reason, but it is 1 reason. I'm with you, though. I'd the phone does something well,I don't want duplicate apps taking up space. That being said, I use handcent and prefer it to the atocj app.

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

The thing is, if you dont like it you can uninstall it within 1 minute, meaning goodbye to the useless crap, if after trying thats what you think.

The tech guy does not know what the hell he is talking about, seriously. Telling people not to try apps? Thats just wrong. You are losing out on so much of the android experience..

Take my advice instead, hear about an app, install it, love it, use it, hate it, uninstall it. You will always have us here to help if you do get into trouble (which you won't).

The tech guy is probably just telling you to not download apps because he cant be bothered answering any more questions about them, we will.

Think phones have come along way? You ain't seen nothing yet my friend, now get downloading those damn apps!

10. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

^ +1

11. expose11

expose11 Member

Handcent is my #1 app. I can't stress enough "try this app" and go through the settings to set it up.

Sent from my HERO

12. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

A few of the reasons that I prefer Handcent are:
    1. Very customizable when compared to the stock messaging app
    2. Will auto-adjust picture sizes to a send-able size
    3. Has pop-ups when you receive a new message (again, plenty of options to suit your needs)
    I also use it with an app called Messaging Widget, both are free so try them out. Also if you do try Handcent remember to turn off the notifications in the stock messaging app's settings, otherwise you'll get duplicate notifications for one message

13. stagolee

stagolee Member

I loved until one day i coudnt get my mess or send mess. I dont know if that had anything to do with Handcent but i deleted and have never had the problem again. Viewing pic mail was a pain to. I dont know if anyone else had the problems but that just me.

14. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member