What is it about TouchWiz that makes it different from the others?

Last Updated:

1. floepie

floepie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm very new to Android, and I'm curious as to what separates TouchWiz from the stock Android and other overlays such as Sense. My only experience with Android so far is with this new Vibrant, so I know no other.

Is it the specific apps that makes up the overlay (TouchWiz)? I keep reading that TouchWiz also comprises that actual UI. How would the stock UI be much different?

Maybe I should re-phrase the question in terms of what is common to all Android phones besides the obvious Marketplace?

Advertisement
  2. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

Overlays like Sense, Blur, and TouchWiz are just the OEM's attempt at creating Android in their own image. Some, like the newest incarnation of Blur, only add some widgets, while others, like Sense, combine different functions, add some things, etc.

As far as TouchWiz, take the notification bar for instance. In stock Android, it only displays clock, data, battery, and messages/calls. But in Wiz, the bar gives you the option to change volume, battery, and other settings as well as screen brightness by swiping it. So it is all about the little things that each different overlay brings.

All Android phones have messaging, notifications, apps, etc. But it's HOW each company implements these things that make these different user interfaces.

damewolf13 likes this.
  3. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I have never used stock Android. I have used Sense, and Touchwiz, which are both very intuitive and fun, in my opinion, but blur is just too....blurry and useless.

4. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

Yeah. The original Blur must have been sent from hell. It was that bad. The new one on the Droid X is alot more functional, although it kinda makes the X crap out. What's sad is the fact that Moto doesn't even want to give it ANY kind of name with "Blur" in it to keep it from association with that monstrosity. :D

5. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

If you want to get close to the stock Android, then ADW launcher with one of the themes will probably do it for you. I love TouchWiz 3.0, but not the launcher. So now I have the best of both worlds; TouchWiz 3.0 with ADW launcher (with Gala S theme).