What is it with MotoTorch?

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First of all I want to make sure people understand I'm not bashing anyone, I'm just thinking that I'm missing something great but can't figure it out. People seem to really like this app and are also disappointed that it's not working with the newest Froyo rom. I have DroidLight for a flashlight that works great. Is it just for the strobe effect, Morse code, or is there more to this? When I see so many people like an app, I usually like it also. I can't seem to figure this one out though.

Advertisement
  2. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I dunno, but I have found other apps as well that is as good as moto torch, although I do like the 1 touch widget that moto torch has. And the problem with moto torch is something they did in the last update, if you have an older version of it backed up, it will work fine on froyo.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

I think there's also some loyalty involved. When the Droid first hit no one had an app for an LED-based flashlight. I believe there were two members on this forum that jumped on the need to produce an app. MotoTorch was free and got a great response since the developer was "one of us".

4. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ahhh, now THAT I understand. Didn't know the story behind it, but it makes sense now. Thats pretty cool, thanks for the info on that.

5. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I can confirm the "loyalty" thing. It was basically the first true LED flashlight app and those of us that used it just got used to it. Yes, there are others out there now. But, as weird as it sounds, MotoTorch has a special place in our hearts. I've since switched to TeslaLED because it actually works on the Froyo ROM I'm using and it also has the one-touch widget.

Beno likes this.
  6. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member

TeslaLED is also much brighter. I switched.

7. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

I personally think you can't beat the widget's touch on/off. You don't have to find the program, open it and close it. It's *touch* and it's on, *touch* and it's off. I just don't recommend you put it on your main home screen because of "butt-lighting" (as opposed to "butt-dialing"). :)

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Here's the deal for me: I need an app (better yet a widget) that uses the camera's LED lights to turn them on, so I can use other apps simultaneously. Most of the "flashlight" apps just use the screen's backlighting, and that doesn't work for me ... and apparently most others.

I am now using TeslaLED. I paid for MotoTorch (after the issue showed up), and I paid for TeslaLED. What the heck? Somebody has to support these devs. :cool:

9. messenger13

TeslaLED has a widget as well. I like it's feature to turn it off via the notification bar. :cool:

10. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

it seems to me that Tesla activates the LED by turning on the camera in the background (i can hear the telltale click-click-click of the autofocus when i activate the LED in Tesla). so it seems to me that Tesla would use more battery and perhaps not work as well with other apps, as opposed to MotoTorch which just tinkers with the LED. not sure of any other apps that just turn the LED on and off since i've been using MotoTorch from the beginning.

feel free to correct me if i have it wrong...

11. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw VIP Member VIP Member

Disclaimer: Dev of TeslaLED here. Obviously I think it is the best ;).

You are basically correct, but just some more details for the curious. I try my best to save your battery life :)!

There's a few ways to get that LED on. I'll stick to the Droid to keep it simple.
    1) setFlashlightEnabled: This is the Motorola "Droidlight LED" app method and the method originally used by MotoTorch and many other Droid 2.1 flashlights. It enables the LED in a low-light mode and does it indepdent of the camera. On the Droid this works on Android < 2.2. And it seems to work on the leaked FRF57 and some custom roms. But does not work on FRFxx (the original leak) and does not work on some custom custom roms or themed versions of FRF57.
    2a) Connect to the camera, start a preview, set it for FLASH_MODE_TORCH, and keep receiving images from the camera the whole time. You can see this in action in Sun Lite LED where the top and bottom of the screen bleed through the camera image.
    2b) Connect to the camera, start a preview, set it for FLASH_MODE_TORCH, jump through some hoops, and stop the camera preview, but the LED stays on. This is what TeslaLED does (And during the actual capture period it's at the lowest resolution possible, saving a bit more CPU there too). Stopping the camera preview saves CPU power and camera power. If you run logcat, after the LED turns on you'll see:
    Code (Text):
    2. D/CameraHal( 8435): stopPreview
    3. D/CameraHal( 8435): stop preview thread
    However the camera device is still in-use and locked during the whole time that the LED is on. Also the LED in this mode is much brighter than in the setFlashlightEnabled mode. This is nice as it's bright, but it's not nice as it is using more battery too (you can really feel the heat off that LED).

No one really knows what the final Android 2.2 for Droid will look like. After FRF57 was leaked I was assuming it would support setFlashlightEnabled for low-light, but with the problems the custom roms have been having with it I'm not so sure. However it'd be very unlikely they would pull FLASH_MODE_TORCH as the Froyo Camera camcorder app uses it. It's possible that in the final release TeslaLED won't be able to call stopPreview() anymore, for example the Nexus One turns off the LED when stopPreview() is called.

TeslaLED already supports setFlashlightEnabled, but it's only enabled for Android 2.1. I plan to make it an option in the future, especially if it's supported in Android 2.2 final.

Ha! I had the TeslaLED widget on my lock screen and did this.

Since then I've added the TeslaLED Timer widget where it prompts you for how many minutes to keep the light on. So now it requires two butt-touches to turn on, and even then it'll turn itself off after some time.

12. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

wow, that's a lot of great info, thanks.

i went camping this past weekend, and even in flashlight mode the LED on my droid was as powerful as my friends' head lights! i swear this phone is a modern day swiss army knife.

13. Beno

Beno New Member

Sweet! Loving the Tesla LED more than Mototorch, and you're right, it is much brighter. Mototorch just stopped working on my 2.2 droid, so this is great, and it has the nice one-touch on off widget. Thanks!

14. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

No offense to eclipsed (Ryan, you know you made a great product) but Tesla rocks my world. All the same functionality, brighter LED, and it works on 2.2.

If eclipsed gets it working on 2.2, I am gonna have a tough choice to make....

15. messenger13

Yep, me too. I paid for both, no regrets.

16. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

Wow Tesla just about put my eyes out! :eek:

I switched too, paid for mine.

17. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

Someone else mentioned DroidLight which is by Motorola. It's free, simple and works. Love the intention to support the independent dev's here though!!!

18. viomonk

viomonk Well-Known Member

My mototorch never stopped working. It still works like a champ and I'm running nexbeast 0.1.1. Maybe its the version. I haven't updated in a while because everyone was whining about it not working so I'm afraid to update it lol.

19. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

damn teslaled is SUPER bright! almost blinded me from looking at it a bit too long. i noticed though, that the phone gets hot really fast. temperature skyrockets with that thing on for only 15 seconds or so. also, will it do any damage to the bulbs with it using both LEDs and at max brightness?

20. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

Just paid for teslaled, thanks for the info guys. I really liked MotoTourch and hope they get it fixed cause I spend a lot of time in the back country and can use the strobe function. I have an IR Led that is programable but not all the search and rescue folks have night vision.

21. messenger13

I left mine on for over a minute and noticed very little heat building up near the LEDs. But if yours is getting that hot, it could be a problem. Excessive heat is sure to damage the LEDs and/or the plastic in front of them.

22. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Tesla has the strobe function, as well as the ability to use Morse Code. Just press menu in the app and then "Switch Screens." You can select Strobe at the top, or the timer for how long you want the light to stay on, or the Morse Code message you'd like to send.

23. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Yah I moved to TeslaLED too. Guess what? It does the same thing. Same little widget on my desktop and it turns on the LED just like others do!

I'd say I miss MotoTorch, but unless I look, it's exactly the same thing.