What is it with Sense and Android Widgets?

Last Updated:

1. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Seriously.

This is the one thing I hate about my Hero.. every time I restart or Sense crashes all of my Android widgets have to be removed and restarted. It's so frustrating.

What really bugs me is that it seems HTC had to know about this.bug because they included a picture frame widget with Sense. Pretty ghetto to ship a phone with a bug this big and hope no one would notice.

Anyone know of a fix?

Advertisement
  2. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

I have never experienced this while rooted or stock.

3. cvam1985

I experience it rooted and stock. If you put an Android picture frame widget on your home then restart it does the photo still appear?

If so perhaps mine is defective...

4. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

The Gmail unread count is one example from the market as well as some of the Calendar widgets. The photo widget mentioned is yet another (no your phone s not defective). But it is not HTC that shoulders all the blame. Since some widgets that retain data (such as what pic to display or which account to show) work and some don't. I am willing to wager that there is some convention or method that some developers are not following that could be fixed on their end. It happens more with Sense but if you look at widgets in the market you will see that it happens with other builds, other manufactures, and so on.

5. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

You're correct, I had never used the picture frame widget but the picture is gone after reboot.

6. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I had a clock that wouldn't work after reboot, one oft he 1x2 digital ones I believe. I'd reboot, and it's say "TAP here to start...", and tapping on the clock wouldn't do a thing, or open anything. Had to drag it to the trash and put it back on.

7. cvam1985

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Widgets are awesome and a big reason I love android. Just sucks they don't work the way they should.

8. n0gik

n0gik Well-Known Member

I think there are some inconsistencies between programmers with regard to widget and timed updates to the display. I've got several widgets on one screen that don't update at the same frequency. Upon boot, some of them are blank and while I've not been too concerned about it (hey, it's Linux under the hood!) I have a sense they'll all eventually conform to a given set of standards for programming. Submit detailed bug reports!

9. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread about this issue.

It's a known bug on the Sprint Hero where the widgets don't refresh properly after a phone reboot or home restart.

Some developers are actually adding a configuration workaround of sorts to their widgets, though this has the negative effect only allowing one instance of the widget to be running at one time. (MoreIcons and Weather Forecast Widget v2 are two apps I know of that are doing this.)

I haven't seen anything where HTC is planning to address this. I'm hoping that the ROM devs can resolve it now that the full development source code has been released.