• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is JIT?

You always make it so easy for others nestor. :D

So I decided to read the wiki article on it. I realized that you just have to trust that some things have the potential to make your phone run better, even if you have no freaking idea why. My slogan will be..."Good JIT is the shit"

A just in time compiler is a way of compiling scripts or applications on the fly. It allows an operating system to interpret and compile code (or precompiled code) on the fly instead of having compiled code on the machine (during runtime).

How this interprets to the speed of an Android device? I'm a little fuzzy on those details. I suppose if the JIT compiler was faster than the binary files or the current method of execution (isn't it JIT anyways?), it would make it faster? It would definitely give an advantage to developers who wanted to code in various languages and expand the capabilities of a device (a good example would be that all Java is interpreted through a JIT compiler).

If the current method of execution is not JIT, and you are going to JIT, I would suspect you would experience lag at startup while the JIT compiler was loading into memory, and then the speed increase may be noticed at execution...

Upvote 0
A just in time compiler is a way of compiling scripts or applications on the fly. It allows an operating system to interpret and compile code (or precompiled code) on the fly instead of having compiled code on the machine (during runtime).

How this interprets to the speed of an Android device? I'm a little fuzzy on those details. I suppose if the JIT compiler was faster than the binary files or the current method of execution (isn't it JIT anyways?), it would make it faster? It would definitely give an advantage to developers who wanted to code in various languages and expand the capabilities of a device (a good example would be that all Java is interpreted through a JIT compiler).

If the current method of execution is not JIT, and you are going to JIT, I would suspect you would experience lag at startup while the JIT compiler was loading into memory, and then the speed increase may be noticed at execution...

this has been my question too... if its already compiled, how will JIT make it faster...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones