What is Odin?Support

Last Updated: 2013-09-30 09:08:05
  1. matzen

matzen Member

This question is probably silly, but I'm new to Android and want to update the firmware. I keep reading about this Odin and was just wondering what it is?

Thx in advance.

Advertisement
  2. momagic

momagic Well-Known Member

Odin is the program you use to flash phones.

'Odin Multi Downloader v3.95.exe' is used to flash the Samsung Galaxy. It's usually included in firmware packs.
  3. matzen

matzen Member

Ok, thanks for the info :)
  4. bisanu

bisanu Well-Known Member

so flashing is not the same as rooting is it? you need to do sth else to root the phone?
  5. momagic

6. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know who wrote Odin. There is no About
    menu in the program, there is no readme.txt, only download links in
    Google...
  7. momagic

The famous Dejan!
  8. Russ Dill

Russ Dill Well-Known Member

Why isn't there source for this kind of thing on github or somesuch?
  9. Shayko

Shayko Well-Known Member

an error list for odin would be great.
    i got a problem with flashing but couldn't find any mention of the error i get on the internet.
    does anyone know how to contact the developer?
  10. Russ Dill

Russ Dill Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Dejan did not write this tool. Someone can correct me here if I am wrong.

There is a string in 3.95:

"c:\Documents and Settings\seungbum223.kang\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MultiOdin\Release\MultiOdin.pdb"

A quick search turns up a patent application "APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR UPDATING BOOT LOGO IMAGE IN PORTABLE TERMINAL" by "Jeong-Hwan Min and Seung-Bum Kang" for "SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD."

So I'm pretty sure that MultiOdin is from Samsung, which means no source is available. It sure would be nice to reverse engineer what it is doing so we don't need odin anymore.
  11. andreane

andreane New Member

Today i updated my samsung galaxy s to gingerbread using odin. Does this mean my phone is now unlocked ?
  12. white0ngold

white0ngold Member

so where do we get "odin" from? im running rom already but its updated and to update it says to use "Odin" can some one explain the procedure
  13. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

First of all, which version of ROM are you running (version of Android) and to which version do you wish to update???.
    Anyway the links and guides are in the sticky thread. [​IMG]
  14. white0ngold

white0ngold Member

oh sorry, i have an epic4g (ec05 update) ginger, current from is syndicate 1.1.0 i want to update to 1.2 of syndicate but it says to do it in "odin" which is i have no idea where?
  15. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

I wish I could help you, but...
    You must post this question in epic4g part of the forum, cause this is Galaxy i7500 part of the forum. I hope someone there can help you. [​IMG]
  16. ssss25

ssss25 New Member

Hi..

As per the answer to what is odin... its to flash samsung.. wouldnt we flash using cwm? I come from nexus world and not sure what is the difference?

Thanks.
  17. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the delay.

Odin is used to flash an unrooted phone to either gain root access or upgrade your stock firmware. Once rooted cwm can be used to flash.