what is radio?

Last Updated:

1. sudeki300

sudeki300 Member This Topic's Starter

as you can tell i'm new to the rooting scene as i only have had my first android phone (desire) for two days, i have done quite a bit of reading as i like to know the ins and outs before doing something. the thing is a see alot of people talking about installing radio first before installing the rom but i cannot find anything that tells me what radio is used for or if it is needed at all. can some kind person please enlighten me.thanks....................sudeki300

Advertisement
  2. lob

lob Well-Known Member

This probably isn't very helpful;
    I have no idea........

However, I have rooted my Desire and it seems like the 'radio' is something you should install from your SD card just before flashing a ROM.

And I believe that every ROM has a different radio...

I think thats a fairly good guess! :D

3. sudeki300

thanks for the reply, i know that it has to be installed before the rom and that it is needed and that every rom has a different version of radio but i was wondering what it is and what is does on the device. i think it as something to do with 3G but i'm just taking a wild stab in the dark so to speak.............................sudeki300

4. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

The radio is used to underpin all the wireless gubbins i.e. wifi, bluetooth, 3G. Not sure if this extends to voicecalls as well as data.

5. sudeki300

thanks nodders for your reply......................sudeki300