What is randomly using my 3G?

Last Updated:

1. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've found my Desire to have quite poor battery life so have installed Switchpro to turn off the things I don't use such as Bluetooth and GPS. I also use the widget to turn data connection off and it works well except I'm finding quite often that something is turning the data connection back on of its own accord and I just can't work out what it is! Autosync is off as are the sync options in Friendstream, Facebook, Peep and Google Mail but something is still turning on my internet at least a couple of times an hour. 3g Watchdog also picks this up as I'd used 140kb of data this morning before I'd even woken up! Does anyone have any idea what could be randomly connecting up my network data and not turning it back off after its finished??!

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Weather?

3. JsT

That's set to not update automatically too!

4. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

I've just discovered that MMS messages bring up the 3G traffic icon.

5. JsT

It might be the full screen Friendstream actually, I noticed everytime I flicked through the homescreens that the 3g was dialling up despite friendstream being told not to sync. Hopefully this will be the long term solution, battery has been much improved since I've been manually switching network off with switchpro.

Edit: actually no, I've removed it and something is still trying to connect using 3g despite it being turned off!

6. JsT

Anyone any ideas on this one? Its becoming quite annoying because with the Internet switched on the battery just drains quickly. Whatever application it is it can't be using much internet, we are talking about 10-15kb a go. Its just frustrating to come back to the phone after a time away from it to find the battery draining quickly and the 3G back on seemingly without a reason? Is there maybe an app that I can download to see which apps/widgets are using the data connection?

BTW if its any help here is what I currently have installed - JsT's Apps on the phone

7. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Well-Known Member

Fast Web Installer maybe? One of the comments for it says that it seems to drain battery life. Worth a quick uninstall to see if it makes a difference?

8. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

I find ExtendedControls Widget actually does a better job of disabling the data connection as it restricts access to the APN so even if you have data turned on under settings using the control widget button it will still deactivate it.

9. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

APNdroid will do this as well for free... It works by appending a suffix to the APN settings so there is no chance of anything making a data connection. You can combine this with the also free Timeriffic to automatically switch things on and off on a schedule. Its what I use to put my phone into "night" mode.

10. JsT

I've given Fast Web Installer the bin and it doesn't make a difference. I have installed the default 'mobile' HTC widget in the home screen alongside Switchpro and they seem to be working OK for now.

11. JsT

Meh its still doing it! Damn you Android and HTC! Next stop APNDroid!