1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support What is ROM used for in a phone?

1. jaydenrobins08

jaydenrobins08 New Member

I was wondering what ROM is used for in phones. I know that it stands for Randomly Accessible Memory but I was wondering I need to get a phone that has more than 512 MB because the Thunderbolt has approx. 712MB.

Advertisement
  2. double

double Well-Known Member

RAM is what you are asking about, not ROM.
  3. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

RAM on a phone is very similar to that on a computer, its the memory used for running programs. And with droid being able to multitask more ram always a good thing. Im not sure if were at a point where we need more than 512 but more can never hurt.
  4. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

Okay first, it's not called Randomly Accessible Memory. It's called Random Access Memory and that is what your phone uses to manage running apps and other data in real time. That is entirely different from ROM which is "Read Only Memory".

Refer to the "Let Me Google That For You" Post above.
  5. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Ok, so a Thunderbolt is going to have 712mb of RAM and a 1GHz processor. The Bionic is going to have 512mb of RAM and a dual core 1GHz processor (which I'm guessing is two 1GHz processors). Will one be head and shoulders above the other?
  6. double

double Well-Known Member

It is not two processors. One processor with dual cores. I can't speak about performance differences but obviously the dual core will outperform the single. To what degree and in what tasks it will do so, I don't know.