What IS rooting?

Last Updated:

1. Lissa7341

Lissa7341 New Member This Topic's Starter

I am clueless to what rooting means? Can someone help me out?
    Thanks! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Root=superuser access. Essentially you can run apps and do things to the system (themes, Roms,overclocking) not normally allowed by a stock phone

Lissa7341 likes this.
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Lissa.

4. vidiot1

vidiot1 Member

At this point if i want to root my phone, should i wait for Froyo to be released

5. sreymj

sreymj Well-Known Member

Based on the advice I have received from this thread, you don't need to wait to root. I am holding off (for now) on anything beyond until froyo though.

6. nitsuj17

tbh it makes no difference if you root now or root on froyo other than waiting on taking advantage of the goodies root brings :rolleyes:

and really root on 2.1 is better imo because then once the ota is out you can get it from the devs at xda pre-rooted, deodexed, and optimized :D

7. Lissa7341

Lissa7341 New Member This Topic's Starter

ok, so how do you root and what makes it so important?

8. sreymj

sreymj Well-Known Member

Rooting simply gives you su control over your device. You then have the ability to alter the file system; remove bloatware, etc. It is also the gateway to more intriguing activities such as flashing custom ROMS, kernels, themes, updates.

9. nitsuj17

HOW TO:Root, Install Clockwork, Remove Bloatware, Integrate Google, Un-root, and more - xda-developers

that is the one stop shop for how to root, what you can remove, installing recovery etc.

basically if you are happy with your phone and dont want any future panic-y moments then you dont need to root :)

that being said....root allows you to do A LOT that you normally can't do to your phone. you can use custom kernels which are smoother, faster, and use less battery than the awful stock samsung one. some kernels have backlight notifications built in which substitute for the lack of led notifier

you can use free wireless tether (well u dont need to root to do this, but ud have to buy pda net for 10 bucks or something)

you can theme the entire phone (status bar, fonts, icons, etc)

you can freeze/remove unwanted bloatware from samsung/verizion

you can remove ads from free games and the browser

you can take screenshots without the sdk (ok this is kinda misleading because shootme works w/o root on our phones for some weird reason)

you can put leaked os/custom roms on your phone which increase the functionality of the phone

and a lot more though :D