• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is Rooting?

Hmm, as for "messing it up really bad," I'm praying I haven't already done that. I'm updated to 2.1 and it keeps crashing on me. Taking out the battery doesn't help. It just does it again as soon as the start-up is complete. Once I get that and the rest of the marvin shell figured out, I plan to root. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Rooting gives you super user privileges to your phone. You can basically do whatever you want to it, including messing it up really bad. Read this and go from there.

[HOW TO] DE03 - Instructions for Flash, Recovery, Root, Custom Patch

You can stop after step 12. Let me know if you need help.
You can't mess up your phone really bad (in the sense that it isnt a simple reflash to fix it) unless you are using the Updater program to overwrite the PBL and SBL... That is the only time that you can seriously screw your phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones