What is "safe mode"?General

Last Updated: 2013-01-12 15:01:05
  1. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

My screen says "Safe Mode" and some apps are greyed out. I've never seen this before and can't find anything in the PDF user guide..... can anyone shed a little light on this, please? What is it? How did I get it? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

There is a certain button combination you can use to boot to safe mode for troubleshooting. Like on a computer. Have you tried rebooting? Does it boot normal?
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

I think to enter safe mode on the s2 you continuously press menu while the phones booting up. How to get out varies from device to device. Some will get out of safe mode with a simple reboot, others you will need to turn off, remove the battery, replace and reboot
  4. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

If you press the menu softkey during the boot sequence (i can't recall exactly when eg. at logo, or at boot animation etc) your phone will go into safe mode.

The purpose of this is to remove unwanted applications that you cannot install after a normal boot.

The annoyance of safe mode is that you will lose a lot of your homescreen setup (all widgets for example) the next time you boot up properly and will have to set all these up again.

To get out of boot mode, take your battery out for a minute or so. During this time you may as well keep the power key pressed for at least 10 seconds. Then put the battery back in and reboot.
    Atma likes this.
  5. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I still don't know what caused it but I managed to get it back to normal after turning the phone off and on a couple of times, so I guess it's all okay now. At least for awhile.

Thanks again.