1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

What is safe to disable?General

1. dewalist

dewalist Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Since I likely will not root this device, I love the feature to disable crap apps that I have no intention of ever using. Here's what I have disabled, what do you have?

All Share Play
    Amazon
    Amazon MP3
    Audible
    IMDB
    Kies Air
    Media Hub
    Music Hub
    NFL Mobile
    Viewdini
    VZ Navigator
    Zappos

Advertisement
    PiscesCloud likes this.
  2. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Well-Known Member

It looks as though you can shut all of those down. If your phone or any app doesnt respond properly you can always reboot. Basically if its just a bloatware app you dont use then you can shut it down. Most of the ones you listed I shut down after every reboot....
  3. jack58

jack58 Well-Known Member

Those apps aren't running unless you enable them, correct?
    So they're not really hurting anything sitting in the folder are they?

I'm new to this phone, (one whole week) so I'm still leaning.
  4. dewalist

dewalist Well-Known Member

You have to re-disable them after every reboot? I wasn't aware of that - that makes the feature a little less useful...

You should kill them as you disable them - just to make sure they are not still running in the background - I don't know if disabling them does that automatically or not. Also, clear the cache and data (if any). As far as I know, that will limit them to taking up the minimum amount of space. There shouldn't be any harm in letting them sit there unused like that, but as mygt8a4re says, if you disable a bunch of things and your phone starts going wonky, you'll have to re-enable things and then disable them one at a time until you find the one that is causing the issue. So far, I haven't noticed any ill effects from disabling the ones I have listed above...
  5. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Well-Known Member

6. GiggityGiggity

GiggityGiggity Well-Known Member

7. PiscesCloud

PiscesCloud Well-Known Member

dewalist

Thank you for your list; I'll have to try some of them myself. To answer your question the apps I have disabled are:-
    ChatON
    Face Unlock
    Flipboard
    Game Hub
    Google Calendar Sync
    Google Contacts Sync
    Learning Hub
    Music hub?
    Readers hub
    Readers Hub Stores
    S Suggest
    S Voice
    SecWallpaperChooser
    Talk?
    TalkBack

Incidentally, on my phone they stay disabled after a re-start. They are only re-activated after a hard reset.
  8. jack58

jack58 Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase this a bit:
    If you don't enable them, they aren't running are they?
    I thought they were just icon sitting there and you had to click on them to get them enabled in the first place?
    These posts makes it sounds like they're all running even when I didn't enable them in the first place?
  9. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Android and root are like peanut butter and jelly, I will never own an android phone again without finding root:)
    Rxpert83 likes this.