What is safest way to get From NexFro 1.0.1 back to NextBeast 1.1?? Also reseting question!

Last Updated:

1. virodeath

virodeath Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My friend and I are just having to many issues with NexFro 1.0.1 on the 2.2 OS crashing and other misc. stuff but we love the interface so we want to go back to NextBeast 1.1 on the 2.1 OS.

What is the easiest and safest way to get back to the 2.1 OS?

Also I am questioning the method my friend rooted his phone, even though it responds as rooted it seems to act even flakier than mine under the Nexfro ROM. What would be the best method in restoring his droid back to stock OS and starting over?

I noticed that most of the "How To Root" on this forum have broken links to the files, does anyone have a link for a good set of instructions with working links they can forward me?

One last question is what exactly is Peter's Baseband thing do? I have been reading about it but it isn't sinking in my head as to what exactly it does.

Thanks in advance guys, this is by far the best Droid Forum out there!

Viro

Advertisement
  2. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

1. You can just flash nexBeast again. Though I would highly recommend doing a data/cache wipe. The apps might not play nicely going backwards. You could try it out first, if you have problems data/cache wipe, if your using CW then I'd format the system too.

Are you guys flashing different kernels for OC? Maybe your going too high for your phone. Try lower speed kernels, and different people's like bekit or p3droid, chevys sometimes phones just can't handle 1.2gHz and some kernels just don't play nice.

2. Have your friend do a full data/cache/system wipe see and start with Bugless Beast, not themed. If its running fine then he can easily install nexBeast over it.
    Here's 2.1 ROM v1.1 which is what nexBeast is based off of.
    Here's pete's patch to give you nexTheme. It won't have some of the apps and modifications Fabolous made, but it themes the system. You would just install the update.zip after installing the ROM.

3. The baseband has to do with the radio and stuff. It controls the communication between your phone and the cell towers. Updated basebands usually have improvements to reception and battery life and stuff. Pete's baseband update will update yours to the latest one. Leaked, since it's not actually released yet.

3. virodeath

Hey DD thanks for the information, I just want to clarify a few things to ensure I am understanding what your saying.

When you say do a "data/cache wipe" are you talking like you would from CW when it asks you if you want to backup or wipe data/cache or is there a different method. CW has spoiled me and my manual install methods have made me laxed. :(

Your saying I can just take the 2.1 ROM v1.1 file and flash that from CW and it will put me back to 2.1 then just redo NextBeast without issue (after doing data/cache wipe)?

Also when you asked if we were flashing different kernals, no we just stayed with the default that came with the ROM. He installed it after I told him how great it was. I am not so much into the theme, it is the ability to access all my screens from the home button as well as being able to have the extended menu and side ties when you hold down the home button on the screen. The other thing is the wireless Wi-fi tether, ever since we moved to the 2.2 with Nexfro we haven't been able to get it working right, even after applying the wi-fi fix file.

Again I appreciate the help and all the work you guys do, big fan of the products up here!

Viro

4. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

You can do the wipe data/cache in the main menu I think but to wipe the system you have to go to the advanced and mount system then format it.
    The link I gave is to the bugless beast rom. Nex beast is the rom modified so if you want nexbeast then you can just install that. The nextheme zip needs to be installed after bugless beast. if your going back to 2. 1 All you need to do is flash nexbeast its. Rom not a theme. I suggest wiping data because you might run into problems with your apps if you don't.

You have the ability to get the homescreens from the home button because fab added a themed adw and or launcher pro. If your just flashing bugless beastyou can just install one of those from the market. I'd recommend launcher pro its been more stable and smooth for me.

You could try a different kernel see if that works.
    wireless tether has been working fine for me so I don't know. A different kneel may fix that issue also.

I hoped that helped, I'm out of town trying to type this all up on my phone so I don't know how clear it is or if I answered anything.

5. virodeath

OK have an issue, we can't get my friends phone to enter the recovery area (hold down "x" and hit power button). I can't get it there manually or through CW. I tried installing another 2.2 ROM over the top but NexBeast FRF57 v0.1.1 owns his phone... Thoughts?

Viro

Update:

Tried su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img

reboot recovery

no dice it goes to the "M" then waits a few seconds then boots up... /sigh, it's always something.....

UPDATE UPDATE:

Apparently you have to reflash CW like 3-4 times to get it to go into recovery. Something about Froyo it doesn't like