• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Samsung Account? Is Samsung Apps reliable?

hajimeabc

Apr 20, 2012
Hello, bought the Galaxy Note a week ago. I noticed that there is an icon called Samsung Apps. I suppose it is like an App Store. Please correct me if I am wrong. It seems that I need to create a Samsung account in order to download the apps from that place. What are the advantages of having a Samsung accoung? Are the Apps from Samsung Apps under Samsung's strict quality control? Are they free of malware, virus, torjan, etc? Thanks.

Samsung apps appears to be a special app store for Samsung users. I have not used it much tbh since there are many apps that are also in the Google store. That being said, I have installed some apps from there. You need a separate login since it is not connected to Google in any way.

One word of warning: Using this store does install another push service on your phone. I simply deinstalled it after installing what I wanted.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Reactions: hajimeabc
Upvote 0
Samsung apps appears to be a special app store for Samsung users. I have not used it much tbh since there are many apps that are also in the Google store. That being said, I have installed some apps from there. You need a separate login since it is not connected to Google in any way.

One word of warning: Using this store does install another push service on your phone. I simply deinstalled it after installing what I wanted.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Thanks for the warning. I am new to smartphone. Could you please let me know what "push service" to deinstall?

I read that there is no quality control in Play Store. Apps that contain malwares have been sold in the store. How about the Samsung Store? Is the quality control as good as the Apple's App Store?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the warning. I am new to smartphone. Could you please let me know what "push service" to deinstall?

I read that there is no quality control in Play Store. Apps that contain malwares have been sold in the store. How about the Samsung Store? Is the quality control as good as the Apple's App Store?

Oh wow, for that I would have to rely on my memory which is a dead loss. It is obvious enough though, just look on your list of installed apps for something with push and Samsung in the name. You can't miss it.

I would doubt that Samsung perform testing on the apps in this store, but perhaps they do. I have installed avast antivirus and only install apps that have been favourably reviewed by my peers (a plus if they also have the same phone). Using this technique, I have never had a problem.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
I found an app called S choice pre-installed on my Note. What is that? When I clicked on it, a window showed up asking if I would like to update samsung account. Somehow, a Disclaimer screen showed up. Below it, there are:

Samsung account (terms and conditions)
Samsung Apps (terms and conditions)
Privacy policy

Has any of you read everything in details? Is it risky to just press the Accept button?

Upvote 0
It's standard terms and conditions. I created a Samsung account to have a look round. There is some stuff there that is specifically tailored for the pen though I have actually found none of it any use for me there should be no security issue with signing up for it. It does give you access to Samsung Dive which is pretty neat (though nothing new) if you have lost your phone. Generally I would trust something from the manufacturer over a 3rd party.

Upvote 0
Hello, I signed up for the Samsung account. When I checked out the apps in Samsung Apps and S choice, there are tones of Chinese apps. (I bought the Note in Hong Kong and currently staying in the city for short term) I do not know if the Note found my location and then lists the corresponding apps (for HK/Chinese users).

Is it possible to see/download the apps available for users living in Japan and the USA?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones