What is the best Android phone around?

Last Updated:

1. Hyperchild

Hyperchild Active Member This Topic's Starter

I thought this would be an interesting one to ask. I'm not looking to buy or anything (I have a Hero), I just wanted to know which way this will go. Be it Desire, N1 or Galaxy?

Advertisement
  2. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

You'll likely get as many different answers as there are posters. I myself currently view the HTC Incredible as my top choice. It's the best combination of hardware, form factor (read: size), and features for me.

I do expect a lot of Droid X and Galaxy S votes though.

3. sakmaster

sakmaster Active Member

Droid X and Galaxy S for their performance. The snapdragon's gpu is real anemic, and with upcoming games your guna wanna go Galaxy S, or Droid x if your on Verizon.

If your not on Verizon its hard to justify anything but the Galaxy S (vibrant, epic 4g, captivate) unless. Possible a Nexus one with 2.2, desire, or EVO. If you can't handle the size of the Droid X, and your on verizon, the incredible is still pretty good. But the AMOLED screen isn't the same as on the Galaxy S, its much dimmer. And again the snapdragon isn't as fast as the Droid X, or Galaxy S.

4. Weazol

Weazol Well-Known Member

You can't rate a phone solely on its performance in games.

I vote the Incredible its all around great. (and I could never give up sense)
    HTC phones almost will always be guaranteed updates as they have a contract with Google, with samsung you will probably be left behind. (as some people still have 1.6 on their phone)

I do like the HTC evo, However 4g is not that stable right now (give it a year) and Verizon is the best service I have had (I have been with T-mobile, ATT and Sprint)

5. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you need in a phone. A LOT of the devices are simply amazing, but it really comes down to your needs and preferences. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

6. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

Over all, the Desire by far.
    I really wish other manufactures come along too, like sony ericson, samsun and motorola but at the moment nothing comes closer to htc.
    For platform, yes android is the future

7. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

8. anfearg

anfearg Member

Must say that my Galaxy S has lived up to all my expectations. Just need to wait for a Froyo update now

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Best is always subjective, regardless of the topic. There's no such thing as a universally best smartphone or we'd all be using it. Simply comparing specs and picking the bigger number doesn't mean that a device is "best" unless the OP specifically asks about whatever specific spec is being compared.

Best always boils down to whatever suits the individual best.

If you don't like these "****ing answers" then get the OP's to ask better questions. Have them qualify exactly what they mean by best. Otherwise these threads are fairly meaningless and just end up with fanboys trying to push their favorite options (thanks for demonstrating).

The Evo may be the best option for some. However, it's completely irrelevant if:
    1. The OP has no intention of using Sprint.
    2. The OP finds the Evo too large.
    3. The OP can't stand HTC.
    4. The OP insists on a physical keyboard.
    ...or any number of other reasons that don't come to me off the top of my head. Personal preference is very important when comparing devices and it's ignorant to think otherwise. I'm not saying that you can't compare objectively but when someone comes in looking for info on "The best (pick a product)" there's always the implicated "for me".

It's actually not all that interesting as the "What is best?" question is the most frequently asked one on every forum site and it's rare that anyone ever explains what they mean by best. On that note, please qualify what you mean. Do any of the following matter?

- Brand
    - Carrier
    - Size
    - Keyboard
    - Rooting
    - UI versus Stock (potentially affecting OS updates)

Or anything that hasn't been mentioned already? What features matter? Which ones don't? How will the device be used?

10. mujahid

mujahid New Member

I previously own a Sony Xperia X10 and now an HTC Desire. The Desire is waaaaay better than the X10.

11. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Right now I'd say the Droid X. I prefer the TI Omap to the Snapdragon, and I think the X has a better screen than the Evo. I would've liked a front facing camera if for no reason other than they're becoming more common and it would be nice to have just in case. From my experience so far, I also still prefer LCD to AMOLED which is why I pick it over the Galaxy S line.

12. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

+1

Most if not all people are going to choose the phone that they own...I myself own the DInc but I think that there's several really good choices out there right now!

The best phone for me may not be the best phone for the next guy as everyones wants/needs vary :D

13. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

The Doid X, if it was GSM, and had Super Amoled, and a pyhsical keyboard. ;)

J/k. Since this device does not exist, I must say I am so far VERY satisfied with my Galaxy S.

14. shalemail

shalemail Well-Known Member Contributor

Well I researched for a while before I pulled the trigger and I am sure many will think I made the wrong decision. I recommend you make a list of your needs, wants and would be nice to haves, and then see which phone fits that list the closest. Personally I wouldn't take a Samsung phone if you paid me to, I have had nothing but bad luck with their phones, their touch screen technology leaves much to be desired and they last maybe 90 days before the first of many problems surface. So I removed any Samsung Androids from my consideration, I am not a gamer so I didn't need the fastest of the fast processors so that was not high on my needs list. What I did need was a physical qwerty keyboard (I am old and I have fat stubby fingers so no onscreen typing for me) I had to have a good sized screen, a new(er) version of Android OS - in this case 2.1. etc. etc.

So I got the MT3GS - and I love it, but I am stuck on ATT for now, so I will only be able to get part of it's power once unlocked until my current contract is up.

15. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

The most powerful androids around are the Droid X and the samsung galaxy s series (Sprint Epic, Verizon Fascinate, AT&T Captivate, t-mobile Vibrant and the standard Galaxy S) . HTC phones use slower snapdragon cpu's and the EVO even has a cap on frames per second (fps).
    Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S (SGS) also support 16 million colors vs only 65,000 for any of the HTC phones.
    Droid X doesn't have a FFC. Evo does and so does the SGS and the Epic variant. The other galaxy variants (vibrant, captivate, etc) do not.
    Droid X and evo have an 8MP camera with a dual LED flash. SGS has a 5 MP camera and many models don't have any flash but the Sprint Epic and Verizon fascinate versions will.
    SGS has an amazing color on its s-amoled screen (black is really really black) but some people are turned off by amoled's pentile fuzziness and would prefer the droid x's clarity.

16. birthofahero

birthofahero Well-Known Member

Im surprised the Incredible hasnt been said more often. It is better than the X, better than anything samsung will ever put out, its just better.

17. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Lol, that's not biased at all.

I'd have to say, for form factor, I'd have to go with the Samsung phones or the Incredible. I've played with the X, and it's honestly too big. I know alot of people disagree, but in my experience, it just is.

18. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

id say the Htc evo it ownes everything ive held the X it feels to light/cheap imo and its the same size and samsung isnt that great and the incredable is a mini evo minus the 4g hugeness and epicness

19. Re4son

Re4son Well-Known Member

Nexus One. How can ANYONE argue this? WE HAVE FROYO MUWAHAHAHAHA :D

But seriously it depends on a lot of factors.

If youre on sprint: Evo but i would wait for the Epic 4G :)
    If youre on T-mobile: Nexus One (sold out now unfortunately) or Galaxy S if you cant get a Nexus
    If youre on Verizon: I personally would take the Droid Incredible or Droid. Droid X not allowing custom roms is a BIG DEAL BREAKER for me.
    If youre on ATT: Nexus One if you can if not then the Galaxy S.

OUtside of the U.S: Probably a Nexus One, Desire or Galaxy S