What is the best car finder application?

Last Updated:

1. I am searching for the best car locator application. I am using a Sprint HTC Hero. I looked at Car Locator and Car Finder, but there is a lot of negativity in the reviews. Is there a better one? A better App Market search engine would make this process a lot easier :)

Advertisement
  2. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Take a look at Carrr Matey. Lots of good reviews. I've downloaded it,but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
  3. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

Are people really that unaware of their surroundings that they can't remember where they parked their car? I've never once not been able to walk right straight to where I left it.
  4. Hahaha, yes I am that stupid.
  5. April_Fool_79

April_Fool_79 Well-Known Member

I can forsee 2 times when I would need this app (desperately). When I leave my car parked at the airport for a week (I can barely remember what clothes I wore yesterday lol), or when I'm out downtown with my friends and we bar hop. We never really pay attention to the car's location relative to where we are walking, so we end up having to backtrack to each bar and then back to the car.

But for regular trips to the mall or to the grocery store .... nah, not so much.
  6. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

:) I didn't mean to imply that. I just can't imagine not knowing. Everybody is wired differently I guess. I don't put any special effort into it, I just know.
  7. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

If you travel a lot, or live in a very large metro area, it can be very useful.

Carr Matey is a riot. The only problem with it for me is that when I use it, I start talking like a pirate.

8. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I used Car Matey and had problems with accuracy. I currently use Car Locater (we have giant shopping malls in South Florida and I am always forgetting where I park) and find it more accurate, although not as cute as Matey but I will take function over form.
  9. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

I like the parking timer built into Carr Matery, you can set it for the amount of time you have left on the meter.
  10. MinConst

MinConst Well-Known Member

Are either of these simple to use. I looked at one of these apps and was pretty much expecting to hit a button and say this is where my car is and later hit a button and have it take me there. Wasn't the case.
  11. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

My issue is that I would be far more likely to not punch in to let it know the car location than where I parked.

I think what would work for me would be to have two android phones, one I left in the car with a "Where is my Android" type app on it. ;)

I think a "Where is my car app" in some cases would be real nice if it automatically saved the last place you stopped after going faster than walking pace. You would have to keep your GPS going constantly, but it could work.

Of course, this would be ineffective if you parked at an amusement park or took some other form of transportation from where you parked, so there would need to be an over-ride.
  12. carperto

carperto Well-Known Member

Take a look at Car Finder AR (Augmented Reality)
  13. gbwis54301

gbwis54301 Member

I'm trying Smartpark right now because how little I need it, it's worth the cost (free). It includes a parking meter timer and for those cities with lots of parking ramps it has an altimeter to help you remember which level, too. I haven't had a chance to try that feature.

Carr Matey was too clever and cute for my taste but comes highly rated.

Car Locator is only a touch more serious. I installed the free trial while traveling in Florida last week but not sure it's worth $3.99 for how little I'll use it the rest of the year. I did enjoy the "pinging" radar directing me to my car (but found the arrows, map, and distance in feet or meters more useful).

One thing about car locators, you can only expect them to get you within sight of your car. With Car Locator, I could be back in the driver's seat and it would tell me I have 64 feet to go.
  14. Hagbard57

Hagbard57 Active Member

Airport parking lots are a big one for me, and major sporting events. The thing is until I saw this thread I never even considered that I would be able to have a car finder, I just look for landmarks and then keep hitting my alarm listening for the horn :)
  15. carperto

16. blacksmith

blacksmith New Member

I tried Carr Matey, and it was pretty flaky. About 40 meters off on the first try, and the compass needle was all over the place. The second time was better, but there are enough freebies to try that I don't need to mess with this one.

If you do find a freebie that works, donate to the developer; shareware is alive and well.
  17. blacksmith

blacksmith New Member

I was born with no sense of direction; I can get lost in a walk-in closet. With a good topo map and a compass, I'm fine, but at places like a stadium parking lot, or maybe Disney World, we're talking acres of very similar vehicles. I've come close to dying of thirst on some of those long parking lot "adventures."

I wish I had your directional facility, but at least technology has come to my rescue. Now if I could just come up with someone to help me carry all the gear...
  18. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I downloaded Carr Matey for a trip to Columbus, Ohio, specifically for parking at the Zoo. I found it to be quite accurate, which is a good thing since it started to rain very hard as we were leaving and both my kids were extremely tired and cranky.
  19. cc4525

cc4525 Active Member

lol if u have tried that many car finder apps and none find your car.. then i feel much safer on the road knowing u r still in parking lot..just kidding.. i had to say it..cause i have tried one or two of those apps just to see if it works..and none pinpoint.. u would have to be at the mall of america or another huge lot for u to be able to tell the general area ur car may be...
  20. cc4525

cc4525 Active Member

umm after bar hopping...i would hope ur car locater would not work....unless said locater directed u to cab or designated drivers car...just sayin...
  21. Super Noob

Super Noob Well-Known Member

I like car finder ar. At first I got it to show off augmented reality, but it actually works pretty good. I've tried a few car finders and some were too complicated to use.

This one either points you in the right direction, or you point your camera lens around until an icon tells you where your car is.

It came in handy at a south by southwest in austin and at scarborough faire in waxahachie. Some of you dont know where that is, but neither did I because I'm not from there. Which is why this app came in handy.

Car Finder AR - Android app on AppBrain
  22. Baz8755

Baz8755 Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know if any of the car finding apps use bluetooth as my phone connects to my car stereo so when the ignition is turned of the phone should know that the car is parked.
  23. carperto

Car Finder AR!
  24. carperto

Car Finder AR now uses driving direction to your parked car!
  25. JohnCena83

JohnCena83 Member

You can use spy phone to get car location. Software track people where they go where they are right down to the actually street they are on using a cell phone signal and some software.