1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best program to use for backing up text msgs? (and also MMS msgs if possible)

Last Updated:

1. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is the best program to use for backing up text msgs? (and also MMS msgs if possible)

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

3. jshoe22

Does it do MMS? ANy others?

Thanks

4. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

The full version of kies worked well for me. The current version doesn't support our phones any more so you'd have to get an older version.

5. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Try this one...

Sms Backup it saves all your messages to your gmail account in a special SMS label, and can do so automatically... It is all I have used for a year and a half now...
    It doesn't do the media aspect of the mms, but if you long-press the picture you can save it to your sd card...

Attached Files:

Ethere and jshoe22 like this.
  6. jshoe22

I don't yet have a barcode snaccer program..... What do you reccomend I get to scan that?

7. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Oh! Sorry! It's "bacode scanner," it's free in the market and extremely handy for sharing apps...

8. art__

art__ Member

I use backup to gmail. Seems like it does the same thing as s.m.knipe posted, but it also does MMS and Call log. You can choose all 3 of them or only 1 or 2.. each one with its own label. I've been using it for about two weeks now and it works great. Initially it took some time to sync because I had over 6K SMS, but after that everything syncs as soon as it happens. I don't know how to do the barcode thing, but just search the market for "Backup to Gmail" and it should pop up. It's $1.99 however.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this app doesn't have a restore function yet, but I heard a rumor that it will be coming out soon. Also, the messages are time stamped based on when they were backed up as opposed to when they were sent. Works for my purposes, but might not for yours.

9. jshoe22

Well does it at least show everything in Gmail? What is it called ?

10. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I know this is not really on-topic, but...

It seems to me the purpose of SMS/MMS negates really needing to "back them up". If you're needing to back up your text messages, you're using them wrong. SMS is for expendable/disposable quick conversations. Got something important to say worth saving? Use email.

11. art__

art__ Member

jshoe22,

You can view them in your gmail account, it makes labels for your SMS, MMS, and Call log (Kind of like inbox, spam, trash labels). You can leave it with the default name it assigns which are the ones I mentioned, or you can relabel them. You can also use any gmail account, it doesn't have to be the one you use with your phone, but I like to keep everything together.

You should also know that it seperates them by sent and received (for each person). So for each person you have a conversation with is split into two. Unless I am missing a setting where you can put them together.

For me, I communicate with my work through both SMS and email so that's why I like the backup. I like it for the pictures in MMS because it does it instantly so I can just rummage through them later... plus I'm lazy so it works lol. Just my $.02

12. jshoe22

I have been using it. Seems to be good. Sremick, I cannot control what people send me in text messages and some of the stuff is important where I need to save it.

13. jshoe22

Oh, I didn't realize it did MMS and call log I'll have to check that out. Thanks

14. Ethere

Ethere Well-Known Member

Worked PERFECT. Thank you for the recommendation. This way I don't have to worry about losing anything important in my texts. I only wish I backed up the full MMS if it's a picture or video.