• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the best root and firmware to run on GS5 SM-G900T?

Morketh

Apr 14, 2014
I have the galaxy S5 model SM-G9005
Android version 5.1.1

I have been having some issues with the phone being quite slow and I have deleted all of the crap I am allowed to and still quite slow so I would like to know what the best root kit and firmware I can switch to in order to get some better speeds so I don't have to get a new phone????

I have the galaxy S5 model SM-G9005
Android version 5.1.1

I have been having some issues with the phone being quite slow and I have deleted all of the crap I am allowed to and still quite slow so I would like to know what the best root kit and firmware I can switch to in order to get some better speeds so I don't have to get a new phone????

Unlike the AT&T and Verizon models of U.S. Galaxy S5 phones, the T-Mobile (USA) model, G900T, can usually be rooted fairly easily by using chainfire's CF-Auto-Root kernel. See...

[SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

Once rooted, you will have greater access for removal and modification of bloatware. Alternatively, you could flash the latest stock CyanogenMod ROM which closely resembles the stock Google Nexus firmware. See...

How To Update Galaxy S5 (GSM) To Android 5.1.1 Lollipop via CM12.1 (Nightly) Build

Please read all links carefully and thoroughly before proceeding.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Upvote 0
I have my 900T1 (Metro PCS version), which is essentially the same phone, rooted with CF Autoroot and stock firmware and I've been happy with the results.
However I'm on 4.4.2 and I'm not sure the same method will work on 5.0 or above.

You may be right Fox Mulder. I am using the updated CF-Auto-Root on Android 5.0. Here are some alternative root kernels for the G900T on Android 5.1.1...

[ROOT/KERNEL] Root Method for FOF6 / 5.1.1

[ROOT/KERNEL] Root Method for FOG6 / 5.1.1

Reactions: RA_BH
Upvote 0
You may be right Fox Mulder. I am using the updated CF-Auto-Root on Android 5.0. Here are some alternative root kernels for the G900T on Android 5.1.1...

[ROOT/KERNEL] Root Method for FOF6 / 5.1.1

[ROOT/KERNEL] Root Method for FOG6 / 5.1.1

Just curious, both of those links show:

DO NOT USE ON FOG6 FIRMWARE. WILL "BREAK" YOUR CAMERA. CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION.
and
DO NOT USE ON FOF6 FIRMWARE. WILL "BREAK" YOUR CAMERA. CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION.

Why does each version say not to use the other version? lol

Upvote 0
Just curious, both of those links show:

DO NOT USE ON FOG6 FIRMWARE. WILL "BREAK" YOUR CAMERA. CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION.
and
DO NOT USE ON FOF6 FIRMWARE. WILL "BREAK" YOUR CAMERA. CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION.

Why does each version say not to use the other version? lol

Because each kernel is firmware specific.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I finally got it going and got the TRAPKernal G6 installed on there so now I just need to figure out what I need to do to get this thing going faster and delete this bloatware crap

Do a nandroid backup and freeze bloatware using Titanium Backup with PRO key, from the Play Store, as opposed to removing apps ,as I have seen people remove system apps before now, and render their phones useless. The [International] Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide although written for the Galaxy S4, will give you some guidelines on how to remove bloatware but it will not tell you which is and which is not, bloatware as this will be different for each model of Galaxy S5... particularly carrier branded models. Proceed with caution! :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones