• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best SMS program?

I have used Handcent for a long time and loved it. Tried chomp for a while too, but went back to Handcent.

After reading the last few posts here I decided to give GoSMS Pro a shot. I am sooooo glad I did. GoSMS is AWESOME!!!

All the options of handcent and chomp and so much more! Really like the change.

The only thing I miss is on the pop up, handcent had a button to use text to speech to read the message to you which was really nice while driving

Upvote 0
I used handcent for awhile and found that when I was replying using the popup screen, the keyboard covered the reply text box so I was never able to read what I was typing. I found that far too annoying having to close the popup and open the handcent app to reply.

I changed to goSMS the other day, and after finding out how to configure it to work with noLed, I really like it! So far so good :)

Upvote 0
Could someone kindly explain what an SMS program does? OK it sends and receives texts, but what else is there to do? Are there any privacy settings? I tried a program that hides texts from up to five numbers, which worked great until one of them sent me an MMS, which appeared in the normal way. Not much privacy there...
I have of course set up a password so nobody can do anything on my phone, but there are occasions when I'd like to let someone (OK my wife!) use it to make a call without worrying about private texts coming through while she has it.

Upvote 0
Could someone kindly explain what an SMS program does? OK it sends and receives texts, but what else is there to do? Are there any privacy settings? I tried a program that hides texts from up to five numbers, which worked great until one of them sent me an MMS, which appeared in the normal way. Not much privacy there...
I have of course set up a password so nobody can do anything on my phone, but there are occasions when I'd like to let someone (OK my wife!) use it to make a call without worrying about private texts coming through while she has it.

1. Customization - people here often theme the phone, so we get to make the color scheme and theme of the program match our themes

2. Extra options - GO SMS for example can show inbox/sent/draft/outbox/favorites folders among others.

3. Pop ups. Default messages app usually dont have pop ups when you get messages.

4. Inbuilt blacklisting.

There are more of course but these are the ones people notice first.

Reactions: J0HN
Upvote 0

I do that too, don't always want the wife seeing all of my texts.

Get GoSMS Pro (free). It has a privacy box. Any contact that you set to have the messages go there you have to have your pin number to read them. When you get a message from those contacts the text also does not show in the default SMS app. You can change the notifications for those contacts also (mine makes no sound, has a different icon, no pop up, and says it is another apps error message :cool:)

Reactions: J0HN
Upvote 0
I do that too, don't always want the wife seeing all of my texts.

Get GoSMS Pro (free). It has a privacy box. Any contact that you set to have the messages go there you have to have your pin number to read them. When you get a message from those contacts the text also does not show in the default SMS app. You can change the notifications for those contacts also (mine makes no sound, has a different icon, no pop up, and says it is another apps error message :cool:)

I've deleted the app I was using. It was OK but had adverts. GoSMS Pro in now on my Wildfire S and its great. It's putting the right texts into the private box, but I haven't had any MMS yet to test it.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones