What is the best SMS program?

Last Updated:

1. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Figured it out; the setting in Handcent had pop-up turned on.

Advertisement
  2. Bloomy6

Bloomy6 Well-Known Member

I am also using go and love it. Widget, pop up notification with quick reply, group messaging and sms scheduler.

P.s. Forgot to mention missed message reminder. Visible and/or audible. Great for my mesmorize as it doesn't have led. Audible works perfect.
  3. imb

imb Member

+1 for Go SMS
  4. BOZG

BOZG Well-Known Member

I'm a GoSMS fan. At least when I figured out how to get sound notifications to turn back on!

I've used HandcentSMS previously but found it very sluggish.
    techlearn likes this.
  5. zer0snap

zer0snap Active Member

GoSMS fan here too. I used to use Handcent but then changed after a update to Handcent was found to be bugged and slowed SMSing down greatly. Changed to GoSMS and havent looked back. Great program.
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I have used Handcent for a long time and loved it. Tried chomp for a while too, but went back to Handcent.

After reading the last few posts here I decided to give GoSMS Pro a shot. I am sooooo glad I did. GoSMS is AWESOME!!!

All the options of handcent and chomp and so much more! Really like the change.

The only thing I miss is on the pop up, handcent had a button to use text to speech to read the message to you which was really nice while driving
  7. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member

It does????:confused:

Where would that option be hidden then? :D

Regards

Mikey :D
  8. chrlswltrs

In the pop up settings make sure the pop up mode is set to full, then there are several buttons on the pop up, one of which will read the text to you
  9. aaronsuarez95

aaronsuarez95 New Member

gosmspro
  10. chrlswltrs

Totally agree, I tried it out and it is way better than the others and has more features
  11. pageisgod85

pageisgod85 Active Member

I have tried all of the major sms apps like Handcent, ChompSMS, Go SMS, and Go SMS Pro. One major thing I've noticed in all of them is that they try too hard to replicate the iPhone sms app which I totally hate. I'm now using the stock SMS app with SMS Popup which does the job for me. :)
  12. popovicidinu

popovicidinu Member

Why not use the stock version for s.m.s. ? It's gets in handy if you configure it the way you like. Or go for the Handcent, since it's prob. the best application around.
  13. downgrade

downgrade Member

Tried handcent and chomp just now trying out Pansi SMS so far its living up to its description. Fast / simple and minimal. Has a couple of options but nothing over the top
  14. Dieselbud

Dieselbud Well-Known Member

I used handcent for awhile and found that when I was replying using the popup screen, the keyboard covered the reply text box so I was never able to read what I was typing. I found that far too annoying having to close the popup and open the handcent app to reply.

I changed to goSMS the other day, and after finding out how to configure it to work with noLed, I really like it! So far so good :)
  15. MysticMi

MysticMi Member

go sms pro all the way, love the themes you can get with it.
  16. J0HN

J0HN New Member

Could someone kindly explain what an SMS program does? OK it sends and receives texts, but what else is there to do? Are there any privacy settings? I tried a program that hides texts from up to five numbers, which worked great until one of them sent me an MMS, which appeared in the normal way. Not much privacy there...
    I have of course set up a password so nobody can do anything on my phone, but there are occasions when I'd like to let someone (OK my wife!) use it to make a call without worrying about private texts coming through while she has it.
  17. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

1. Customization - people here often theme the phone, so we get to make the color scheme and theme of the program match our themes

2. Extra options - GO SMS for example can show inbox/sent/draft/outbox/favorites folders among others.

3. Pop ups. Default messages app usually dont have pop ups when you get messages.

4. Inbuilt blacklisting.

There are more of course but these are the ones people notice first.
    J0HN likes this.
  18. chrlswltrs

I do that too, don't always want the wife seeing all of my texts.

Get GoSMS Pro (free). It has a privacy box. Any contact that you set to have the messages go there you have to have your pin number to read them. When you get a message from those contacts the text also does not show in the default SMS app. You can change the notifications for those contacts also (mine makes no sound, has a different icon, no pop up, and says it is another apps error message :cool:)
    J0HN likes this.
  19. J0HN

J0HN New Member

I've deleted the app I was using. It was OK but had adverts. GoSMS Pro in now on my Wildfire S and its great. It's putting the right texts into the private box, but I haven't had any MMS yet to test it.

Cheers.
  20. chrlswltrs

MMS will work the same way and go to the private box if needed, nothing additional to set for MMS
  21. Marc1969

Marc1969 Well-Known Member

Does Go SMS Pro also allow scheduling?
  22. chrlswltrs

Yes! It is hard to find anything that GoSMS doesn't do for texting!
  23. Marc1969

Marc1969 Well-Known Member

OK, on my way to the Market then ;)
  24. J0HN

J0HN New Member

Excellent.

I'm loving the GoSMS Pro app so far.
  25. avalondroid

avalondroid Member

GoSMSfor me is the best