• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best way to charge my S4? Let it drain all the way first??

Apr 20, 2013
I was always of the impression that it is best to let your phone drain its battery, then recharge all the way, and repeat this cycle about three times to maximize battery life.

However, with the S4, I've been told it doesn't matter. Is that true? Or should I continue doing as above?

Thanks!

Li-ION batteries do not like being fully discharged. They actually prefer small incremental charges and they love being topped off. They actually have little or no hysteresis (memory) and when they die, they die very quickly.

BigRedgonzo

This is what I have heard also via Gizmodo and owning an iPhone 5 prior.

Samsung/Google have programmed the phone to say "unplug me" once the phone is at 100% because why not confuse people?

Upvote 0
I was always of the impression that it is best to let your phone drain its battery, then recharge all the way, and repeat this cycle about three times to maximize battery life.

That was perhaps true with Ni-Cad batteries. They did last longer if periodically discharged (not sure about your 3x theory). Ni-cads have not been used in phones for probably at least 10 years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones