• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the best way to play music on the Droid through your car stereo?

Ummm, 3.5mm is 3.5mm. The iPod connector is 2.5mm.

Given, but I'm looking to find out the length of the metal end going into the stereo, sure they are 3.5mm, but as per the harness picture Dr. Droid posted above, the end looked slighly longer than my jack for my headphones that I have, which is also 3.5mm. Plus, websites that I've seen that list a 3.5mm jack or a 3.5mm mini jack look different in the picture posted for the metal jack end (otherwise, why would a website state 3.5mm, then others state 3.5mm mini? I would assume there would be a slight difference.

Guess I found my answer here for my 2008 Pontiac G6 radio:

Adapters - 2003+ GM Radio iPod Interface +Aux Input: Axxess AIP-GM01-ID

"This BRAND NEW Axxess AIP-GM01-ID iPod interface plus auxiliary input adapter allows you to interface an iPod and/or external audio source with your factory radio. On one end, it plugs into the auxiliary input on the back of your factory radio and, on the other, it provides an iPod docking connection AND a stereo mini jack. Use this device to add an iPod AND a non-factory CD changer, an MP3 player, CD changer, satellite radio, DVD audio, etc. Or just connect the iPod and leave the stereo mini jack empty for future use... A direct connection is FAR superior to the sound quality you get using an RF modulator OR cassette adapter device. The iPod connector is licensed by Apple and it DOES charge the iPod while connected. A 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini jack is utilized for true stereo sound. Plug it right into the headphone jack of any device for true convenience! This device also has a video output RCA jack that would allow you to plug it into your video system and watch video from your video iPod on your vehicle's LCD screen (if so equipped and if your vehicle has a yellow female RCA jack to use for this purpose.)"

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that well get a data to radio cable someday. I hate running audio through the headphone Jack.

I agree. I just switched from an iPhone to the Droid and I miss the USB compatibility with my car radio. The audio quality was better that way than over the aux cable, mostly because my radio does additional processing to the iphone source that it doesn't do with an aux source.

Upvote 0
I agree. I just switched from an iPhone to the Droid and I miss the USB compatibility with my car radio. The audio quality was better that way than over the aux cable, mostly because my radio does additional processing to the iphone source that it doesn't do with an aux source.

You CAN use your phone to connect via USB to play music. I just did this the other day. You have to treat it was a USB drive though.

1. Plug in your phone
  2. goto your phone's notification and MOUNT it
  3. your car will search the phone for audio
While this doesn't allow you to control the music from your phone, you can still control it on your car's stereo.

This is using an after market Pioneer stereo system, but I'm better most are the same.

Upvote 0
You CAN use your phone to connect via USB to play music. I just did this the other day. You have to treat it was a USB drive though.

1. Plug in your phone
  2. goto your phone's notification and MOUNT it
  3. your car will search the phone for audio
While this doesn't allow you to control the music from your phone, you can still control it on your car's stereo.

This is using an after market Pioneer stereo system, but I'm better most are the same.

Yeah, I've tried that already. It does work, but it's horribly inefficient and it's missing all the cool functionality you get when you use the phone's media player.

Upvote 0
Uh, pandora?, slacker?, jabra?

Google "pandora" once and see what you get!

maybe you, or somebody, can explain a bit of this.

I've got sirius, an 1/8" aux input, 110V AC, GPS and all that stuff (Ford Escape Hybrid) so, like lots of folks, am interested in MP3s that pause when my phone rings, and I answer it and use it on speakerphone. I understand that Motorola's accessory isn't available yet.

Using a mouse-sized device with a battery (jabra) to talk to another mouse-sized device with a battery (droid), to use my phone seems kinda goofy to me.

Upvote 0
I use aux in for my tundra, still trying to find a good place to mount the car dock, the problem for me is that the skip buttons are a little small to reach and hit while driving....not imposible but you need to take your eyes off the road.....

on the plus side, imcoming calls sound good thru the speakers and callers report no echo.

It would be nice to have it charging also so that the screen would stay on. I have not tried internet streaming music yet, how does the quality compare to mp3 coming off the phone?
I removed the coin holder on my 08' Tundra dash and modified it to where I could fasten my docking station to it. It is by the steering wheel and up high enough to glance at it when needed.

Upvote 0
I picked up an Alpine ex-10 for 20 bucks on newegg, unfortunately they dont have em anymore. But, it works pretty well for me, connects the bluetooth when I get in the car, I can play my ipod or music off the phone, when I get a call the music mutes and I can take the call and I can also view my contacts, recent calls and make calls from them. It works over RF and the wires are a bit ghetto but I couldnt beat it for $20 so I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0
My free XM subscription is about to expire.
be prepared to get two calls a day for weeks if you don't tell them right away what's going on. yes, two calls! one in the morning, one at night.

told them once i don't want it anymore, they kept calling for weeks and i tried to ignore them. finally gave in and said no thanks. no calls since then.

i guess i'll buy an aux cable for my 'speed3.

Upvote 0
bought the 3.5mm jack cable to go from the Droid to the Aux input on my Civic, and used Pandora, it was actually very sweet the way it works!!!

THIS.

Also, on my JVC head unit there's not only an Aux port on the front of the faceplate, but a USB connector too! So, on longer trips (hour plus of streaming music) I can keep my phone charged while jamming out. Works out perfectly!

USB from faceplate to phone + 3.5 Aux from phone to faceplate = Complete control from my phone :D

Upvote 0
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. My car doesn't have any way to hookup other than through an FM Transmitter (would be too much of a pain in the ass to get an aftermarket head unit, and I would have to do some cutting to get it to fit), however, someone plowed into my car, and the rental that I have now has that Microsoft SYNC thing. Now I know I can pair it with bluetooth and play my Last.fm!!!

Upvote 0
I'd imagine that USB (if possible) would give you the best sound quality since the file will actually play from your head unit and not from the phone. 3.5 jack would probably be the next best (and most common) choice, with Bluetooth following and finally an FM transmitter. I'm currently using Bluetooth since I got a deck for Christmas that supports it and the sound quality is actually pretty good. If I had some really nice speakers then I might go the aux route, but right now they don't put out spectacular sound anyways, so I'm not really missing much.

Upvote 0
I'm using a 3.5 aux cable to listen to music in the car. I have an aux port in my glove box however I noticed alot of buzz/hum when the volume is turned up loud. Thought it was a bad cable or connection at first and replaced the cable. Turns out, I get the feedback through the speakers (Only) when the motorola car charger is also plugged into the droid. Not sure why there is so much interference. Can anyone report a similar problem? Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm using a 3.5 aux cable to listen to music in the car. I have an aux port in my glove box however I noticed alot of buzz/hum when the volume is turned up loud. Thought it was a bad cable or connection at first and replaced the cable. Turns out, I get the feedback through the speakers (Only) when the motorola car charger is also plugged into the droid. Not sure why there is so much interference. Can anyone report a similar problem? Thanks
I have the same problem. I actually went through the same progression as you--I naturally thought it was the 3.5mm cable, and replaced it. No dice. Then I thought there was something wrong with the way the auxiliary input was setup (it's technically done using an FM Modulator, which is like an FM transmitter except it has a direct connection, and as a result, has superior quality/little static), but my iPod works fine.

But like you, I stumbled upon the fact that the feedback only occurs when I have the Droid charging. Otherwise, it works perfectly fine.

Incidentally, my iPod works fine when charging, though.

So I'm not sure what's going on. Do you know if your auxiliary input is hooked up as an FM modulator? (You wouldn't be able to tell unless you looked in the back of the radio unit.)

Any other help from anyone experienced would be great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones