What is the crosshair iconGeneral

Last Updated:

1. KenMasters

KenMasters Member This Topic's Starter

In the menu at the top showing network/battery power.

It is a small crosshair icon.

I do not show this on my Moto Droid, only on the wife's Eris.

Advertisement
  2. Garick

Garick Active Member

pretty sure its the 911 location service

3. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member

yup, indicates if your gps is set to 911 only or location on

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If location is on then there are a couple of curved lines to the right of the cross hairs.

5. KenMasters

KenMasters Member This Topic's Starter

thanks

now, my question is: Do I want this on? How do I turn it off?

6. JackButler

JackButler Well-Known Member

Depend's if you want the ER/police to be able to locate your wife! ;>)

7. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

My wife just got an Eris today; I've had a Droid for a month.

Just to be clear, are you saying that if there's an emergency, that the police/ER can find her even if her GPS is not turned on, thanks to this "locator" thing?

Also, does it eat any battery power by leaving it on?

8. JAS_21

JAS_21 Well-Known Member

Conserve power....... save wife....... choices, choices.

9. frickingphil

frickingphil Well-Known Member

1) Yes, Location is determined using cell tower proximity data if GPS is not available or not enabled. You can disable location in Settings -> Location -> Location Setting (uncheck).

My guess would be that a 911 call would override this and send location data anyway, but I'm not certain and I know I wouldn't trust it being disabled just to try and save a little bit of battery.

2) I don't believe it uses battery power solely by being enabled per se, however apps that request location data may cause it to ping the cell tower more frequently. Stuff like Weather, etc.

GPS is a lot more fine-grained of location data when compared to cell tower proximity, but uses a much larger amount of battery when compared to it.

I just wish we could turn off the icon, it just seems a tad pointless when the GPS has its own separate icon when its in use. AFAIK, the Droid doesn't show the icon for Location...it may be a 2.x thing. No idea.

10. jamezelle

jamezelle Well-Known Member

yea thats a toughy lol hahaha :p

11. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

There are 2 different modes for location notification.

1. Location On.
    This will allow 3rd party access to your location based on GPS/cell triangulation (i.e. Google Maps, Weather, etc.)
    2. E911 Only. This only allows access to your location ONLY during emergency calls. When you turn Location off, this is the mode the phone will operate in.

So, unless you're paranoid, you can just leave your location on and the phone/apps will have full access to the GPS/triangulation to provide Location Based Services.

12. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

If you have a weather app or use google maps, you'll want to leave location on. It saves a ton of battery over GPS. GPS obviously uses satellites for positioning and is more accurate. Locaton on uses cell towers and is usually accurate to "1200 meters" (give or take a few hundred).

13. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the device is smart enough to only use GPS when an app needs it, which means only when you are using the app. The GPS indicator does not illuminate until I activate an app that wants to use it.

Also, you only have a GPS receiver, not a transmitter, so battery usage is minimal. The thing to keep an eye on is applications that want to maintain your location regularly (Google Latitude, Maps, etc.).

I have used my device with GPS on and off and have noticed no measurable impact to battery. It's the apps that use it that consumer more batter (using the radio for mapping updates, etc).

Oh, and you can not disable the ability for GPS to determine your location when making an emergency call. THis would defeat the E911 Phase II compliance devices have had for a few years now.

14. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, everyone.

My wife's the only one who knows how to run the washing machine, so I guess I'll leave Location on. :)

15. smacky

smacky Banned

In 2.1, you aim your camera at people you don't like and aim the crosshairs on them. Click the trackball, and an attack helicopter comes (MW2-style) and starts firing at them. If he's a sneaky bastard, it'll bring in a pavelow and harrier soon afterwards. I'd keep it on.

16. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Good to know. I just turned GPS on and the icon did not appear. I opened Google Maps and it immediately locked onto my location. Once I backed out of Google Maps, the icon for GPS disappeared. Pretty slick. I guess I'll try leaving GPS on. I made sure that my Weather Channel widget settings doesn't use GPS, otherwise it probably would drain my battery.

17. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Yes, very good to know! I'm going to check my widgets and make sure they're not set to use GPS. That way my wife won't have to turn on GPS every time she goes to use Google maps.