1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What is the difference between cf auto root and motochopper?

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

Is there a difference? Why should I prefer one method over another?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Last I saw, MotoChopper was messy and didn't work with update MF9. Chainfire (CF Auto) is done in 2 minutes, works on MF9 and is so easy a caveman can do it.
    hortstu likes this.
  3. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

how exactly is a one click script messy?
    hortstu likes this.
  4. Darnell0216

I hadn't even tried it so I don't know what went wrong. I just know I saw more posts about them messing up root on MF9 with it than CF over at XDA. If you say it's that easy, I won't doubt ya.
    hortstu likes this.
  5. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

its not a matter of it messed up root, MF9 blocked the exploit so it didnt work, people saw superuser installed (but not the binary) and freaked out when they had root. no different than people downloading superuser from the market and wondering why it "didnt work". :/

cf-root is pretty cool but only works on devices that can have partitions flashed via a tool. oh and chainfire has to go and manually add in new devices which isnt the easiest thing to get done. exploits work on many devices, but get patched after so long and are not easy to make (the one click scripts are a breeze but the actual hard part, the exploit not so much).

either way, cf-root or flashing recovery and then superuser is the way to go from now on since motochopper is blocked :)
    hortstu likes this.
  6. hortstu

OK so motochopper doesn't even work? CF is the only option for an sphl720?

Does anyone know if if CF works with linux or do I have to find a windows computer to do this?

Thanks.
  7. Darnell0216

CF goes through Odin, which accesses the phone while it's in download mode. I've only seen Odin on windows in any tutorial so far.
    hortstu likes this.
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Odin itself is a Windows only client. However Heimdall is an open source program that can get the job done and it's available on Linux & Mac unlike Odin.
    hortstu likes this.
  9. hortstu

I'd be interested in a link to this heimdall... Why isn't it in the tutorial? Maybe it should be?