What is the difference between G5 & G7

Last Updated:

1. StarMenace

StarMenace Well-Known Member

I ordered a new flex ribbon/cable on ebay for my N1 because the power button part of the ribbon is broken. When I went to replace it it was the wrong part.

It fit in where it was supposed to, even turned on, BUT the LEDs were misaligned and some of the resistors were different as well. I went back to ebay and saw that there is a G5 and G7 version.

I thought there was only one version of the N1 other than the radios for AT&T and T-Mobile. I didn't realize there were other differences.

The part was bought several months ago but I only now had time to try to replace it so I can't return it or exchange it. Does anyone know what the difference is between a G5 and G7 N1? Also, how can I tell which one I have?

Advertisement
  2. StarMenace

Oh, by the way, I don't know which one I bought and since the auction is more than 90 days old I can't go back to check the listing.
  3. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Don't forget they also made an LCD N1 when HTC ran out of amoleds.
  4. StarMenace

I've got an AMOLED screen on mine but that still doesn't answer the question.
  5. StarMenace

I was able to see the receipt on Paypal. I got the Nexus One G5 flex cable. Like I said, it didn't fit properly.

I did some more digging and it seems that the Desire is considered a G7 and Nexus one is considered G5 but have the same ribbon? I saw one ad on ebay for one flex cable that says G5 and G7 are different but their cable works for both. What?

So does ANYBODY have an idea on what is what? Why would a G5 flex ribbon/cable not work in my N1? I have to spend another $50-70 on another cable from Hong Kong, wait 30 days for it to arrive, then try again to see if it's even the right part.

Should I just try to sell the phone outright stating it needs a new flex cable and just taking whatever I can get for it? I see people selling theirs for about $150-180 on ebay with that disclaimer.