What is the difference between Wireless TetherSupport

Last Updated:

1. stevenxowens792

stevenxowens792 Member This Topic's Starter

And PDAnet? I have searched and checked other threads but I guess I dont understand. I know that wireless tether utilizes bluetooth or wifi, and pdanet utilizes the usb cable.

Which is the right one for say, travelling with notebook and want to connect to the internet in an area without WIFI? Do I have to root the phone to make it work? I have sprint as a carrier with everything data and I dont plan to use it everyday or even every week.

I receive a Samsung Moment tomorrow. I am very excited and have read enought today to make my mind explode. Thanks for any advise.

BW, StevenX

Advertisement
  2. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

The USB cable.
    PDAnet is $$$ wireless tether is free (A very good thing)
    When you have your Moment with you, you have a WIFI hotspot
    available. http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13577-samsung-moment-tethering-6.html#post1123672 Go there to see how.

3. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

Wireless tethering allows you to use your phone almost like a wireless router, where devices and computers can connect to your phone and use the phone's 3g connection to connect to the internet. Benefits of wireless tethering is that you don't need pdanet/azilink preloaded on the computer/device and you'd connect just like a wifi hotspot.

the free version of pdanet doesn't allow you to access https sites... if I remember correctly...

And yes, I'm pretty sure you need root to use LouZiffer's wireless tethering app.

4. stevenxowens792

Thanks so much for the responses... If anyone has used both, which is actually a faster connection for data? I know neither will be blistering fast but if you streamline the phone with either rom or a taskmanager to kill everything but the app for tethering which tends to have a faster Download/Upload speed?

Again thanks!

Bw, STevenX

5. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Just tried it out real quick, and with wifi tether, I got about 1.2 meg down and .2-.5 meg up, which is equivalent to what I usually get through PDANet.

6. stevenxowens792

@Flu - Thanks ! really appreciate it. Sounds like I will prolly go through the steps to root. I will worry about it when I actually get the phone in my hands. I need to see what they sent it with. I think it will be easier if they send it already with 2.1

Thanks! StevenX