What is the downside of Rooting?

Last Updated:

1. MushroomStamp

MushroomStamp Active Member This Topic's Starter

Besides the "warranty" stuff. Is there any loss of functionality? Do you still get OTA updates? Do some apps not work?

Advertisement
  2. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

all apps still work, certain ROM block the OTA updates, and you gain more functionality. There isnt a downside to rooting IMO

3. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

no real downside, just lose the ability to get OTA updates from 'the factory'

all updates will have to be done manually, which usually isn't an issue because the rooted Firmware(s) are typically ahead of the factory ones as far as functionality/extras (ie trackball colors)

4. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member

Only downside it is technically voids your warranty but so far people haven't had issues with hardware warranty problems.

5. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The real downside: you get addicted to flashing different ROMs to try them out.

I got in a "whee, let's try EVERYTHING and the kitchen sink too!" cycle for a while. Flashed twice a day for shits and giggles. Not going to lie though, it's fun.

6. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

I've been looking around for info but I can't seem to quite find the answer to this particular question. I understand the need to back up the phone but what is the easiest way after rooting to get all my apps back? Will a restore just put all my apps back on a ROM or will I have a few troubles and have to reinstall several apps? Paid apps still work ok? I just want to prepare myself because I want to root this weekend.

7. grainysand

Use Titanium Backup for your apps.

8. phenixdragon

I was looking at Titanium Backup myself, but can someone tell me how it specifically works? Sorry, I am a n00b with Android and trying to learn all that I can.

9. grainysand

You load it up, it gives you a list of things you can back up. When you reflash/wipe and install it again, it'll give you a list of things you backed up, like SMS messages and such. If you backed up your apps, you can reinstall those complete with app settings. Very convenient.

10. rori

rori Well-Known Member

so, titanium back up for apps and nand backup for the rest, right?!
    -> which of them is for email accounts setting and mails (exept gmail :eek:f course)

11. grainysand

More or less, yes. :) Titanium Backup can also take care of your SMS and I think there's an option for backing up "email storage" in there somewhere too.

12. darkLuke

darkLuke Active Member

So if i root my phone (just to get app2sd - that's the only reason for me to root the phone) will I need to make updates manually? Or if I just root it (witchout changing rom for any custom one) I will have automatic updates and all pros of root?

13. grainysand

Correct. As long as you stick with the stock ROM, you'll still get OTA updates officially.

PKitty and darkLuke like this.
  14. phenixdragon

I will have to check out Titanium Backup. I'm sure I will have some questions on setting it up but I will do some reading to figure it out before I ask.

15. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

Ok, I looked into Titanium Backup, it's saying it's only for phones that are already rooted, so if I"m understanding right I guess this step is after you've gone through a few early steps of the rooting process. I'll have to read some more, thanks for the info.

16. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

thats correct, you do need root access to use titanium backup. if you want to root, go to the all about root section here, there are several links that will give you step by step instructions, or if youre not a root n00b, i'd just visit modaco. great roms over there, and if you purchase a plus membership, unlimited custom rom kitchen access will allow you to remove some of the apps that bloat the phone.

17. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

If you want to back up your apps before rooting then Mybackup or Mybackup Pro is what you're looking for.

PKitty likes this.
  18. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Backing up your apps is unnecessary provided your new Rom is going to include market access, since all the apps are backed up there anyways. You'll be prompted within 24 hrs to Dl them again.

19. phenixdragon

How does that work exactly because I have had to rebuy an app off of the market. And now that I have reinstalled again, when I go to the app, it only wants me to buy it again. And I am using my 1 and only google account each time.

20. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I would email the dev then. How long did you wait before repurchase? Mine usually has a Que for Dl the next morning.

21. rori

rori Well-Known Member

I experienced that, that

22. phenixdragon

Well what had happen is when I first got the phone, I did a restore because I bought it from someone who got it at the TED conference. But I had bought an app. After the restore, I went to the app again and didn't realize it would show up in downloads, I didn't even know about the downloads area. So I had to buy it again. So...I asked the company for a refund and they gave it. Now I have rooted my phone, tried a few ROMs and decided on the one I want. Now the app wants me to buy it again and says I already did a refund on it when I select buy.

I do notice that the other apps I have bought, if I do a reinstall, they will initially show up in downloads, but if I close it out without installing them again, they do not show back in downloads. Are you saying they should maybe 24 hours later?

23. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Not sure why they would go away and not show back up like that. Once they are there, they are awaiting you to tell them to dl. So it makes no sense that they are clearing from the dl area, unless you are actually looking at the store now and not realizing it.

24. phenixdragon

Well so far it's just this one app that I have issues with, because when I rebought it I did a refund. I'm sure the other apps I bought would work correctly. I will have to try to talk to Google about fixing my account on this one app. I'm sure I could buy it again and ask for a refund and the company would, but it would be a pain if every time I reinstalled it I had to do that.

25. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Certain apps may not work properly is something I have noticed.

Seeds of Life (live wallpaper) force closes at time - a known graphic issue with the kernal I am using.
    Layar seems to be acting strangely as well.

That's what I have noticed.