• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the downside to not updating?

musikat

May 17, 2010
Other than not getting the benefits of Froyo that is? I haven't done it yet and I am seeing a lot of "wish I could go back to 2.1" and "Froyo destroyed my battery" posts on here so I am weighing my options. I love my phone and it works well. My battery is great (usually around 24 hours with light to moderate use) and everything is just the way I want it. As I understand from the myriad posts on this board if I update I will probably have to go back and check all my settings again, possibly factory reset (with all the fun that entails) and possibly lose some of the functionality I currently have -- all for a flashlight app a little speed improvement and flash. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, if this is something I will really need to do (eventually if not now) to keep my phone current and continue to get new apps, I want to consider it.

Those of you who have had a bad experience, have the "fixes" on here mostly done the trick? I am willing to go through all of that if I get my phone back at the end of it all, but will be really upset if I do all this and my battery is cut in half or worse. I already BTDT on the Moment with the 2.1 upgrade so I am skittish.

Personally, I'd wait until they've released a patch for some of the codec issues and gmail syncing. Unless you really want to share apps, or put aps on the memory card, its not a huge difference. (A bit speedier maybe)

IMHO, the small improvements don't outweigh the few glaring problems (codec issues, wav file problems, gmail syncing).

Bottom line: wait for a patched version of 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones