what is the lowest temp the desire can withstand?

Last Updated:

1. aceominous

aceominous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A bit of a daft question really but usually keep my desire in my locker at work and recently have been getting temperatures of about -15 so when I check my phone it feels like ice, surely this can't be healthy for it?

Advertisement
  2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Probably not, but the answer is in the manual. Also available online.

3. Dazza

Dazza Well-Known Member

It should be fine at -15. It will have an effect on how long the charge lasts in your bettery (lower temps drain battery life). Also be careful when taking an electronic device from a very cold environment to a warmer one....condensation can form.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Yes, discharge the battery at this temperature shouldn't be a problem.

As I know, charging a Li-Ion battery below 0C is not allowed.
    But probably the Desire has a charging protection for this case :)
    (I know it has a charging protection for temperatures above 60C )

Harry

5. Trito

Trito Well-Known Member

Lowest I have seen on my phone was -7 after I left it in car and outside temperature in Latvia was -17, how you managet to get -15?

6. aceominous

We've been getting average temperatures of about -10 lately and the other day it was -15 and because I work in a large warehouse with no heating of any kind was just wondering what affect this would have.

7. aceominous

I'm guessing this would trigger the moisture pads right?

8. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

Just what I was about to say. If you're taking it from somewhere seriously subzero to somewhere warm, try and keep the humidity out until it's warm. Maybe keep it in ziplock bag in the locker, and leave it in there whilst warming up.

I did see a post last week from someone in Alaska who said that people there started getting warranty repairs refused because of moisture contamination due (probably) to the cold, after these telltales started being used.

9. aceominous

Yeah cheers mate ill keep that in mind.

10. rabrog

rabrog Member

That would be me. It was with older phones, of course. Probably due to condensation from letting phones sit in cars, and then bringing them inside to places that were relatively humid. In one case I know of, a friend took a phone directly from outdoors into their kitchen while cooking, and got condensation on the inside of the screen.

As for temperatures, I've been using mine in the car of late, at temperatures of -20 to -30 Celsius with no problems other than cold fingers. But, when I bring it in, it always goes inside my jacket before I go inside somewhere, so it has a chance to start warming up and minimize condensation.

11. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I have assumed that the Desire will shut down charging if the temperature is below 0C (to protect the Li-Ion battery).
    Can you confirm this rabrog?

Harry

12. johnpeat

johnpeat Active Member

We've had nothing like -15 here, but I've been out a fair bit in temps between 0 and -5 and it seems tohave 2 effects on the phone.

1 - the power switch seems to become harder to use - I'm assume the metal 'spring' is contracting?

2 - if I'm out for hours, the screen seems to get 'darker' - it resolves itself when I get back inside quite quickly tho...