• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the meaning of life?

The elements of the universe, energy and material, later atoms and molecules, were inherent in the big bang.

Thus you and every atom you're made of were inherent in the big bang. And you are self aware.

It is the universe being aware of itself.

I dont buy it. I understand the logic behind it now. But to me its more a group of atoms combined to make something that has the ability to be self aware.

Upvote 0
The universe arranged itself this way. For now. If we want to start with the big bang or with a creator waving his or her hand or with that creator igniting the big bang, the result is the same: the universe spawned complicated clusters of atoms, over time, that became us, with eyes and ears and a mind.

Incidentally, it is not relevant to me what people decide to adopt my current conclusions about these things, people should expore, in my opinion, and not stop once they've come to some understanding.. there is more, I'm sure of that more than anything else; I'm just putting my current thoughts in here because I find them interesting enough to express now and then.

When this stuff comes up, whether in a gathering of family on Christmas, or in a forum like this one, everybody sort of becomes a Jehovah's Witness about their beliefs. I'm trying not to do that and the best way to not do that is to indicate that I don't place my way of seeing things above anybody elses way of seeing things.

Upvote 0
The universe arranged itself this way. For now. If we want to start with the big bang or with a creator waving his or her hand or with that creator igniting the big bang, the result is the same: the universe spawned complicated clusters of atoms, over time, that became us, with eyes and ears and a mind.

Incidentally, it is not relevant to me what people accept of my current conclusions about these things; I'm just putting them in here because I find them interesting enough to express now and then.

When this stuff comes up, whether in a gathering of family on Christmas, or in a forum like this one, everybody sort of becomes a Jehovah's Witness about their beliefs. I'm trying not to do that and the best way to not do that is to indicate that I don't place my way of seeing things above anybody elses way of seeing things.

I hope you dont think I am either? Nobody can prove anything really its all just theory.. and by no means was I saying you were wrong. Sorry if it came off like that....

I don't see the universe as a structured force, that ultimate had us on a path to be where we are today. More like a beautiful (or terrible) depending how you look at it, accident.

Upvote 0
I hope you dont think I am either? Nobody can prove anything really its all just theory.. and by no means was I saying you were wrong. Sorry if it came off like that....

I don't see the universe as a structured force, that ultimate had us on a path to be where we are today. More like a beautiful (or terrible) depending how you look at it, accident.

No.. don't apologise for expressing things as you see them.

There is room for everything in this sort of discussion. It is real food for thought.

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at the civility of this thread.

The reason for life as it evolved is purely to procreate. Humans, monkeys, squirrels, all the same.

Since humans have evolved consciousness they tend to look for meanings which aren't there, and try to explain stuff which is inexplicable at the time, e.g. saying God made the world, because at the time they didn't know any better.
It's not a coincidence that every single culture (AFAIK) started off being superstitious and religious, because they simply weren't enlightened enough to use science to explain what they see.

I'm not trolling, this is what I believe. Everyone else is welcome to their own opinion, I'll ignore them all equally.

There's no "meaning" or "reason" for life, it just is. By some crazy chance we are self-aware and intelligent beings and we should make every moment of it by doing whatever you want to do. you make your own reality.
i do not believe in the traditional afterlife, nor do i think that there is an afterlife at all, but who knows and no one can answer that question.
I think religion is the worst thing humans have thought of. it causes people to live a life according to someone Else's thoughts and ideas, it makes people look forward to an afterlife when they should be living life right now, because it's all that we know does exist. all religion should be outlawed, or at the very least they should have to pay taxes :p lol

I essentially feel the same way as these two posts, although it is said much better than I can put it into words.

Upvote 0
The meaning of life? Hmmm everyone was put here to amuse me. :p
But no, seriously I believe that every one has a purpose for their life and everything happens for a reason. I honestly don't think that the meaning for one persons life is gonna be the same as anyone else.
You have to search your heart and keep steadfast and eventually you'll learn the meaning of your own existence. As for me personally I believe the meaning of my life is to be here and raise my little girl and the one I got on the way and to help others as much as I can. But, I'm not certain that that's all there is though..

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Upvote 0

And if the internet ever becomes self-aware, I'm in for a scolding for the sites I go to!

Thank you. And for those of you that said "43", is that some kind of sick joke to disparage one of the greatest authors of our time? You people sicken me. First person that says "+ 1" gets a towel slapped in your face...

Just sayin... :D

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
There's no "meaning" or "reason" for life, it just is. By some crazy chance we are self-aware and intelligent beings and we should make every moment of it by doing whatever you want to do. you make your own reality.
i do not believe in the traditional afterlife, nor do i think that there is an afterlife at all, but who knows and no one can answer that question.
I think religion is the worst thing humans have thought of. it causes people to live a life according to someone Else's thoughts and ideas, it makes people look forward to an afterlife when they should be living life right now, because it's all that we know does exist. all religion should be outlawed, or at the very least they should have to pay taxes :p lol
Damn. You wrote exactly what I was thinking. Scary. I agree totally.
I'm amazed at the civility of this thread.
Thats even more scary.

TS out (hiding under the covers)

Upvote 0
Thank you. And for those of you that said "43", is that some kind of sick joke to disparage one of the greatest authors of our time? You people sicken me. First person that says "+ 1" gets a towel slapped in your face...

Just sayin... :D

Thank you! You are certainly one hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is! All those people saying 43 made my brain cry.

Upvote 0
When people pose the question "What is the meaning of life?" they are usually looking some philosophic answer. And in that sense I don't believe there is any meaning to life, and even if there is, that 'reason' is far beyond our understanding so asking the question is rather pointless. But as others here have said, the closest thing to a meaning for life is simply this: life exists only to further the existence of life.

Upvote 0
When people pose the question "What is the meaning of life?" they are usually looking some philosophic answer. And in that sense I don't believe there is any meaning to life, and even if there is, that 'reason' is far beyond our understanding so asking the question is rather pointless. But as others here have said, the closest thing to a meaning for life is simply this: life exists only to further the existence of life.

Those opinions are usually a starting point, not a conclusion, in a search for meaning to something as general as "life."

If the procreation viewpoint were all it's about, then bacteria wins with viruses coming in a close second. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones