• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the practical difference between dual core and quad core?

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
It seems that buying a tablet is full of compromises. I want 8 things but I can only get 6 at the price that I want to pay. That is, of course, true about many things in life. When I heard about the Nexus 7 I became somewhat obsessed at the idea of having a quadcore processor. As I do more shopping I find that there may be other tablets with dual core cpus that have of the features that I want for the same price of less. Specifically, I would like to have front and back cameras and be able to load a mini-sd card, or have 64 gb of memory installed in the computer and 2 gb of ram. The most intensive app that I will likely use on this tablet is Skype with video chat. Other things: ebook, videos, music, simple office apps, appointments, not taking, etc. I think if I get a dual core cpu I will be able to do all of the things that I want to do.

My question: what is the practical difference between a dual core and quad core cpu in a tablet? When running what kind of apps does the difference in speed become apparent?

Well the quad core is faster, unless you have a dual core A15, which is as fast as the quad core A9 on the Nexus 7. Other than that you're fine. We're at the point in time where smoothness isn't determined by processor alone but by RAM as well. A quad core with just 512MB of RAM will lag more than a dual core with 1GB worth of RAM.

Practically speaking though, there isn't much difference. As it is, only 3 tablets exist that have quad core chips that I know of, and its the Nexus 7, Note 10.1, and Note 8.0. I have a dual core tablet I haven't come across much incompatibilities.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Give us the specs of the tablets your looking at and we'll tell you which is faster.

Having more cores doesn't always mean ones faster

unless you have a dual core A15, which is as fast as the quad core A9 on the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 10 is faster than the Nexus 7, they don't offer the same performance.

It's good example of a Dual Core CPU being faster than a Quad Core CPU though, but it's the only one I know of using Exynos Dual Cortex A15's.

Upvote 0
Give us the specs of the tablets your looking at and we'll tell you which is faster.

Having more cores doesn't always mean ones faster

The Nexus 10 is faster than the Nexus 7, they don't offer the same performance.

It's good example of a Dual Core CPU being faster than a Quad Core CPU though, but it's the only one I know of using Exynos Dual Cortex A15's.

I think the speed difference is also affected by the RAM in their case. The N10 AFAIK has twice as much.

Upvote 0
Practical difference between dual and quad core is regarding multitasking.. More cores can be easily served to process, the ram available + needed processing speed.
Ex- A quad core will handle multiple apps at once much better then dual core but when it comes to single app/game which obviously is low resource hungry then they both will work same....

Upvote 0
What is the most taxing app that you use on your tablet? Do you use Skype video? and do you run multiple apps at the same time with Skype video?

I don't do skype, but I do a lot of things, and my Tab Plus is heavily customized. On my homescreen, I have 15 UCCW widgets (with updates for calendar and weather), another that updates at a regular interval and several shortcuts. I am also running Widgetlocker with 3 UCCW widgets on it. with I also have a live wallpaper and is running Nova Prime, also have a custom brightness app for autobrightness running all the time.

In the background I have Facebook, Falcon Pro, Instagram, 3 email accounts, Sugarsync, Contacts and Calendar all syncing automatically.

With all that running in the background along with other services that Android needs, I can still Play Asphalt 7 with no lags.

I have an unrooted Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus with 3G. For perspective its got a 1.2Ghz Exynos dual core with a Mali-400 GPU and 1GB of RAM. Essentially its a huge Galaxy SII. It's a little bit more powerful than the current Tab 2 (since basically the Note 8.0 is the successor to the Tab Plus).

Upvote 0
I am looking at the ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet now. Actually, it is also quad core with 32 gb of ram and only about $30 more than the n7. I was originally looking at the Blackberry playbook, with dual core.

The TF300 has 1GB of RAM and 32GB internal storage. You're confusing RAM and internal memory. Anyway, don't bother with the Playbook.

Upvote 0
but when it comes to single app/game which obviously is low resource hungry then they both will work same....

Nope, when it comes to general apps it depends on two things. Does the app take advantage of multiple cores and how fast are the individual cores?

For games you have another two things to consider, GPU performance and screen resolution.

You can't say performance will be the same without knowing these details.

I think the speed difference is also affected by the RAM in their case. The N10 AFAIK has twice as much.

I don't think the amount of ram has anything to do with CPU performance, Cortex A15's are just that fast.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nexus-10-benchmark-tablet,3410-2.html

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
Nope, when it comes to general apps it depends on two things. Does the app take advantage of multiple cores and how fast are.....

Lets talk about Tapatalk, Titanium Backup, Whatsapp... Will there be actually a performance difference if compared between two handsets ex.- HTC One and Samsung nexus S. Answer is no and Handsets have quite large difference in Ram and processor.
However if same compared in case of launchers then one can feel the smoothness difference...
Most of the apps are considered to be low spec supporting during development as not everyone could afford a nexus or S4...
For me dual core never was a problem except gaming.

Upvote 0
There are many important things that to into overall performance rather than just number of cores.

4 is not necessarily better than 2

Lets talk about Tapatalk, Titanium Backup, Whatsapp... Will there be actually a performance difference if compared between two handsets ex.- HTC One and Samsung nexus S. Answer is no

If you're creating or restoring backups, I'd bet there's a huge difference in the amount of time it takes.

Even for nandroids, with system sizes taken into consideration. In fact, I've got a few phones laying around. I can test it

Upvote 0
Lets talk about Tapatalk, Titanium Backup, Whatsapp... Will there be actually a performance difference if compared between two handsets ex.- HTC One and Samsung nexus S. Answer is no and Handsets have quite large difference in Ram and processor.
However if same compared in case of launchers then one can feel the smoothness difference...
Most of the apps are considered to be low spec supporting during development as not everyone could afford a nexus or S4...
For me dual core never was a problem except gaming.

I disagree with that, I used to use a Galaxy S which uses the same hardware as the Nexus S. There is a world of difference between general app performance on the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S4, the speeds in which the apps start, close and general responsiveness within the application are very different.

For more recent devices though with Dual Core Cortex A9 or better you have a point, however it still comes down to the individual app.

Upvote 0
There are many factors that affect performance on a device. The number of core is one. You likely won't find two devices that are identical in every way except for the number of cores in the CPU. Even if you do, the software/OS/firmware may need some optimising to take advantage of more cores.

Building a device is a game of min/maxing. You want to get the best performance at the lowest cost. If you want to hit a higher price point, you can get a better CPU, GPU, RAM or other type of component or architechture and most likely a combination of them all.

Upvote 0
most of the things you do.. that are important to you... a good dual core is sufficient.

the bigger games.. or very graphics intensive programs.. will need more computing power.

if you multi-task.. more apps.. and/or bigger apps.. then RAM is more important.

if you multi-task.. big games and apps.. then you want both quad core and more RAM.

but the way you want to use your tablet and at the price point.. go with dual core.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
I actualy had a dream lastnight (omg im such a geek) about a "modular" phone where you buy the shell of the phone then buy a selection of CPU chips, RAM, GPU, storage, radio, camera etc to suit your needs/budget.
Sorry bit off topic lol :beer:

That is an awesome dream...but if you think ahead a bit, it is not difficult to expect the average computer size to shrink to something smaller than a package of cigarettes within a few years...so then modularization at that point..when the industry comes up with a new mobo standard becomes not only a reality but a necessity, so that manufacturers can continue to offer products at too high a price :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Neowin published an in-depth series of articles on smartphone hardware. It's a good summation but note that A) it's from early 2012 so at this point it's kind of dated and B) it was going to be a seven part series but they abandoned it #4. But it's still an interest read.
http://www.neowin.net/news/guide-to-smartphone-hardware-17-processors

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones